No announcement yet.

Leatherjackets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daddy long legs have just started to appear here so the leatherjacket damage should decrease from now on. Nematodes are recommended for application in September as this is the time when most eggs will have hatched into small susceptible larvae that can be easily killed by nematodes. You could treat now if its such a big problem but use double strength to give the nematodes a chance. Harrods and Green gardener are supplying it so should be no trouble getting hold of it. Once applied it should take effect within 48hrs and you can replant after that but remember to do the late summer treatment for best results. Death to leatherjackets!

Comment

The irony is that there is a researcher doing work on the adjacent farm fields, looking at feeding patterns of golden plovers, which absolutely love leatherjackets. She did lots of soil samples on the fields and found a few, but I just have to poke around in my soil and I pull out handfuls of the beggars!! If only I could borrow a few plovers. Pity their chicks are hatching out now, so they're spending more time out on the bogs incubating them, rather than loafing around stuffing their faces. Still, I know for next year!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X