Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?Whitefly problem

Hi folks,

I have recently pruned my redcurrent bush and found clouds of whiteflies coming up from the bush when disturbed (which we inheritted when we moved to our new home). Could anyone help provide a solution that wont harm any other bugs/wildlife in the garden (very reluctant to use chemicals).
    Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
    Cheers
    Gary

I've grown Mexican Marigold around my brassicas to deter whitefly, it's had some success but is a large (4 foot tall) plant so takes up growing room.
    I will now be trying out a garlic spray to get the remaining beasties, having been inspired by this:
    http://www.npk.ltd.uk/garlic.htm
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have the same problem, whitefly are a major issue on my lottie and in the garden. I don't like using chemicals but I am getting sorely tempted. Someone told me they die off during the winter but they didn't last year. Haven't seen too many during the summer, but now there are loads of them. Every time I touch anything clouds of the little bu***rs fly up. HELP!!!

Comment

I am sure someone has recommended using one of those dust busters before, the little hand held hoovers which you charge up. give the infested plant a knock then hoover up the little darlings

Comment

I use soap solution and spray it on. Organic but deadly.

Comment

Thanks for everyones help with beating these pests, also thanks to Two Sheds for the web link to the garlic spray, sounds like just what Im after>

Thanks again
            Gary

Comment

Hi mine got attacked by saw fly so there was little left for the white fly to attack.

Could someone please tell me the best time to prune the bush and how to do it, there are lots of new buds forming on the stems already.

SS

Comment

I always prune mine pretty much straight after fruiting (not much help at the moment!), not sure if that's right but it seems to work OK. Know what you mean about saw fly though, had them bad this year which reduced the crop loads. Need to be more on top of them again next year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I Know dreadful things ain't they. My Gooseberry bushes were attacked as well. Not a leaf left on them. I did spray them all to kill the tiny blighters but they just came back later in the year.

If I prune the redcurrant bush now, will that be OK.

SS

Comment

If the leaves of your gooseberry were stripped swampie sue, it was probably gooseberry saw fly. They are evil!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

ive also got white fly in my garden. not happy. there on my strawberries and cherry tree
                      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X