Slugs try attack curly kale

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugs try attack curly kale

Last night I planted out my 8 curly kale plants, I had to rabbit and pigeon proof them with a net. Just for good order I scattered some slug pellets around them. Just as well I did. When I went out to water them this eve there were slug and snail trails all over the nets and soil. Loads of dead small black slugs. Click image for larger version

Name:	BA645880-BC6B-4F44-8DBD-462A1A037D0C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	2407543 photo shows my set up. I will take a photo tomorrow of all the slug trails. Thanks be to God for slug pellets, if these guys had got in there would be nothing left.

managed to get a photo this evening Click image for larger version

Name:	7895BE8F-7004-4544-957F-4A3FDA4A284B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	2384725

Comment

Eager beavers aren't they? I hate slugs and snails. I can't bring myself NOT to kill them, in whatever way I can. I recommend nematodes
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
        Eager beavers aren't they? I hate slugs and snails. I can't bring myself NOT to kill them, in whatever way I can. I recommend nematodes
        Thanks Sarriss, please explain nematodes

Comment

Nematodes can be bought on the interwebs. They are microscopic beings that burrow into slugs and snails and kill them. They are quite natural and otherwise harmless to humans and our vegitables. Indeed nematodes exist out in the wild, you can create your own mix to apply in the soil because about 1 in 20 slugs is said to be infected anyway. Collect 20+ slugs and put them in a container with some water and rotting greenery. Keep them trapped so they infect one another for a few days then drown them all and allow the whole mess the sit for a week or three. Now drain and filter this nematode rich sludge and dilute into a watering can. Apply to the moist soil and you will have active nematodes for a couple of weeks where they kill most of the slugs including those living in the soil.
          Nothing is foolproof of course, but as part of an active anti slug policy they are a useful tool.

Comment

Thanks ESBKevin, sounds disgusting don’t think I’ll be doing that, the little blue pellets will keep me safe hopefully

Comment

Kevin explained it beautifully, and making your own has put me off too, but please know that nematodes aren't dangerous for the environment or wildlife, whereas the blue pellets usually are.

You can buy nematodes that are delivered as a powder that you mix in with water, and you simply water all your garden/plot. The nematodes will live in the ground, infesting any slugs and snails coming by.

In order to get to a stage that I am now NOT getting everything eaten by slugs and snail, I only really see snails in the garden, and they're fairly easy to keep under control manually. That compared to when I moved in, where I had thousands of the beggars in my garden, eating my pets' food and every veg I tried to grow. Nematodes really are the best way to manage slugs for me. I can't recommend them enough.
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I might get look to se pe about buying some of these, any idea where I can ?

Comment

Just search on the interwebs, there are several types of nematodes and you want those specifically for slugs and snails.
                  The other big difference you can make is to change the garden environment to be less appealing to the slugs. So things like wooden raised beds, plastic sacks, cool/moist/shady areas. In fact wherever you find them congrugating by day you should try to change if you possibly can. That a regular picks very early when it's still moist or late once the dew has arrived. Also a tip I learned from Charles Dowding is to remove thier food source, they like rotting vegetation so get rid of yellow leaves or fallen leaves and only put fully composted material down as mulch.

One last thing, the shop bought nematodes have a short shelf life and its down to about 2-3 weeks once the pack is opened and you must keep it in the fridge.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X