Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This baffles me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48383730

I've never seen one of these bugs and I always thought it was frog hoppers that did the cuckoo spit thing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froghopper.

The bit saying "Xylella has struck several EU countries, blighting olive groves in southern Italy. The UK is clear of the disease but is on high alert" made me wonder how many olive groves there are in the UK. - apart from mine that is.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I don't see the point of the survey. Surely these froghoppers are absolutely everywhere? They might be better trying to find to find somewhere where there aren't any?
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

How can you tell the difference between a spittle bugs spittle and a plot neighbours?

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          How can you tell the difference between a spittle bugs spittle and a plot neighbours?
          Lasting quality is the easiest -if the bubbly froth is still present 2 hours after first spotting it, then its the bugs'.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
            I don't see the point of the survey. Surely these froghoppers are absolutely everywhere? They might be better trying to find to find somewhere where there aren't any?
            I thought they were endemic here. Just hose them off. What they need to know is if they are carrying pathogen.
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

We've got lots this year. The article made me wonder whether I should start killing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                We've got lots this year. The article made me wonder whether I should start killing them.
                I expect they are an important food source for some creature or other (one that doesn't mind its meal covered with froth from its prey's bottom).
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

There’s a list of high risk host plants here affected by the bacteria. I think our spittle bugs are safe because they haven’t been sap sucking from any infected plants yet,they don’t have the bacteria to spread. Customs must be able to check imported plant roots etc to hopefully stop it coming here?
                  https://planthealthportal.defra.gov....e-version7.pdf

Comment

I did read the article, I just haven't seen these multi coloured bugs, I had some cuckoospit on a strawberry plant in the greenhouse the other day, still not seen this coloured bug. I must have only seen juveniles as the bugs I have seen were all green.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                      There’s a list of high risk host plants here affected by the bacteria. I think our spittle bugs are safe because they haven’t been sap sucking from any infected plants yet,they don’t have the bacteria to spread. Customs must be able to check imported plant roots etc to hopefully stop it coming here?
                      https://planthealthportal.defra.gov....e-version7.pdf
                      I'd be amazed if they could check every single plant, in particular their roots.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                        I did read the article, I just haven't seen these multi coloured bugs, I had some cuckoospit on a strawberry plant in the greenhouse the other day, still not seen this coloured bug. I must have only seen juveniles as the bugs I have seen were all green.
                        It's the larvae of the bug that makes the cuckoo spit. Once it pupates it wanders off as an adult bug.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X