Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

• Thanks for the update
      sigpic

Comment

• Thanks as always Penellype

Comment

• Pressure was 980 millibars yesterday, today its 992 millibars so its climbing slowly here but its only gone to change on my barometer.
          The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

• The labels on barometers are at best inaccurate and at worst downright misleading. The direction and speed of change of pressure is much, much more important than the absolute pressure value.

The current situation is that low pressure to the south will keep the southern half of the country unsettled and changeable for the next few days, fronts over Scotland will bring rain there from time to time, and in between should be rather drier although showers are possible.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Reminder that it is going to get colder, even in the south where it is currently still quite warm. Expect night frosts almost anywhere until after the weekend at least. There is a slight possibility of wintery showers in the east by the weekend, but most places will be mainly dry after the rain in the south clears away later today.

The ensemble chart for York shows just how much colder it is going to get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ens 9 apr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	2383010

These are upper air temperatures, but bear in mind that -5 is cold enough for snow. At the moment it looks likely to warm up next week, but this is in the unreliable timeframe for now.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• There was a touch of frost on my car this morning :-(

Comment

• Same here.

Comment

• Can I order some sun please Penellype?

Comment

• There should be more sun around in the next few days (I think) - the east coast is likely to pick up cloud off the north sea, but elsewhere should see some sun.

Comment

• Lovely day driving to site, sun streaming through the car windows warmed me a treat. Got to site, got out, shirt and fleece jumper, went up 2 floors on the MEWP, sun went in, suddenly realised it's a cold April day with a brisk breeze and my coat was 10m below.

Not yet a time to let the delicate plants even in to the greenhouse, daily temperature variation is still too high, the sun makes the temperature deceptive and the frost risk is ever present.

Comment

• OK one question, why is it soooooo fri**in cold. Just went from the backdoor to the greenhouse to water and back again indoors and I'm perished brrrrr
                          The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

• Originally posted by Muddy_Boots View Post
                            OK one question, why is it soooooo fri**in cold. Just went from the backdoor to the greenhouse to water and back again indoors and I'm perished brrrrr
                            Its to do with where the air is coming from, which is basically quite a long way north:

Name:	Screenshot 2019-04-13 12.42.37.jpg
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	2383070

This will continue for another couple of days before gradually warming up. By Tuesday the source of the air is much further south:

Name:	Screenshot 2019-04-13 12.47.39.jpg
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	2383071

There may be more in the way of showers in the south and west though, with low pressure rather nearer.

Comment

• It WAS pretty baltic up here earlier on. Looked lovely and sunny from indoors so I did a load of washing and took it out to the line.....and got SUCH a shock at the bitterness in the air Yet later on it warmed up lovely

Holding off on seed sowing for a few more days yet....
                              If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Warmer and drier for the rest of this week, with a very pleasant weekend coming up. Enjoy it because its all change on or after Easter Monday with a much wetter spell coming up, although (hopefully) not particularly cold.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X