Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just looked this evening and there seems to have been hail in your thunderstorms near York. Hope at least that didn't reach you and your veg?
    I feel for you, had it happen to me years ago. Hugs x

Comment

• Originally posted by Earthgirl Jen View Post
      Just looked this evening and there seems to have been hail in your thunderstorms near York. Hope at least that didn't reach you and your veg?
      I feel for you, had it happen to me years ago. Hugs x
      Yes we had some hail in the evening storm, and also some extremely gusty winds. There doesn't seem to be any damage that I can see (although the runner bean frame on the plot next to mine has broken). A lot of my things are under nets, which at least reduces the force of the rain and protects somewhat from wind and hail. On the plus side the water butts are a lot fuller than they were yesterday morning!
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• I woke up to three tomato plants blown over in their pots,one the stake snapped leaving the plant bent right over but it hadn’t snapped it’s stem,two of the plants are nectar rose & keep getting BER anyway so whatever happens to them I’ve nearly given up on them anyway,despite watering twice a day these plants are being so sensitive this year?! But they’re all fixed & standing up now. This storm brought a lot of rain yesterday so I don’t mind. My potato leaves have all moved so they could be broken I’ll have a good look round soon.

Comment

• 5 minutes of rain last evening in North Hampshire, a few wispy clouds around today but strong winds.

Comment

• Plenty of talk of another heatwave at the moment.

Some very hot air will move into Spain and Portugal by the weekend, possibly breaking European high temperature records and potentially even touching 50C. What happens to us depends on the precise positions of high and low pressure, which will determine the exact direction this plume of heat takes.

In the south it is going to become warm, possibly hot, with temperatures likely to be around where they were last Friday, but possibly hotter still if the upper air temperature gets as high as some of the runs are forecasting. It will also be dry in the south. The north and west will wonder what all the fuss is about as it will be cooler and more unsettled there. As the distance between the south and the north is not very big this means there is a big temperature gradient, and this usually means trouble. All the models are forecasting a thundery breakdown to the heat some time between Tuesday and Thursday next week, but it is quite possible that the temperature differences and the lower pressure to the north and west will spark of thunderstorms in the north much earlier than that (tomorrow is possible from the midlands northwards and particularly in eastern Scotland). I am not looking forward to this at all after what happened on Friday!

There remain big uncertainties about how hot things will get, and in particular what happens next. The GFS currently wants to bring in low pressure and more unsettled conditions from the middle of next week, the ECMWF favours a return to high pressure again fairly quickly after the thundery breakdown.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Well , its certainly cool,windy and rain on its way ..again.
              Amazing lightening last week, something we have never had here
              Northern England.

Comment

• This is fascinating - reservoir levels in the NW. The difference between current stock and average is quite stark! Although in good news they've called off the hosepipe ban.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/help...ervoir-levels/

Comment

• Pen -
                  Any clue as to when this crippling heat might end?
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
                    Pen -
                    Any clue as to when this crippling heat might end?
                    Models are showing a change to cooler conditions around 7th/8th August, depending on where in the country you are. The ensemble chart for London shows the change well:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ens 4 aug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	2379873

There are also more rainfall spikes after this point, although this is near to the unreliable time frame so I would take it with a pinch of salt. It is very likely though that there will be a thundery breakdown in the middle of next week, probably with some hefty thunderstorms.

The further north and west you are the cooler and wetter it will be, with the real heat never really extending much beyond the south east.

Comment

• Thank you Pen
                      I hope living 10 miles south of Lincoln gets the more normal weather.
                      Fingers crossed.
                      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Cool and intermittent rain, here, getting hot and horribly muggy in the afternoons. Creates that horrible wet-and-sweaty conditions down at the plot! But at least I'm not watering.

Comment

• Sunny with cloud and a nice cooling breeze here this morning (22c) so I put a load of washing out......and we've just had a heavy shower!
                          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• My son is Carlisle with a coat on to keep dry....asked him to bring some rain home with him

Comment

• We should all see some rain this week - the weekend is looking potentially quite unsettled. Currently the rain/showers are restricted to Scotland, Ireland and the far north of England. Thunderstorms may move up from France into the south east tomorrow and Wednesday and a cold front is making slow progress from the west. This will eventually clear the country later in the week, introducing much cooler and fresher weather with showers. How much rain/thunderstorms will be associated with the cold front is debatable, but the next low pressure system, arriving for the weekend, looks much more likely to bring wet and possibly windy weather for everyone.

Comment

• If I've spent all summer baking at home and then my week on the Island (for the Manx) rained off, I shall be forced to... to... to well, drink beer and talk nonsense more than usual I suppose...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X