Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is us at 10am. The weather warning (yellow) is in force and an Amber warning is active from 2am tomorrow.

It's now bucketing down....................

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	2376603
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
      Yes, I've seen that - it relies on people reporting snow, so its fine if you live in a densely populated area as lots of people will report it, but if you live in a rural area there may be nobody anywhere near you that knows about it or can be bothered.....

The best freely available radar I have found is https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar which updates at 5 minute intervals with about a 10 minute delay."
      Yes I agree with all your observations, Penellype, and that radar website is a good one, thanks. I also use the one at
      Rainfall radar: United Kingdom UK | WeatherOnline
      which offers lots of options about place, time, wind, precipitation etc once you get used to using all the menu choices....

Comment

• Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
        Yes, I have to venture quite far into Lincolnshire tomorrow and am in some doubt about the wisdom of it, particularly as it's supposedly to look at snowdrops....
        My dilemma whether to venture or not was sorted by receiving a note from the gardens that they were closed today due to snow! I was relieved... It has snowed here a bit overnight and is snowing now in a somewhat desultory fashion but more is forecast. It's noticeable that the surface is so cold after a few days of zero temperatures that even an individual snowflake on landing doesn't melt but sits there waiting for the next one! If it does increase it will certainly settle.....
        There's a local (North Notts) belief/saying which is basically "Snow from the West no problem, snow from the East watch out!" This lot is definitely coming from the East....

Comment

• I suppose there is a small good side to such extreme weather as I having been looking at pics that would not normally exist even in our 'normal' winters.

The best one so far was of the frozen sea at Weston Super Mare.

This is all written whilst sitting in the kitchen with the thermi cranked up.
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• suns shining here but very cold though, I went to the allotment this morning but came away the wind chill was to much ! atb Dal

Comment

• Heavy snow showers here after about an inch of the stuff over night, which I have already removed from my cloches and net tunnel. Some of the snow showers moving into the east are coming from very deep clouds - if you are in the eastern half of the country you may see thunder snow (thunder and lightning accompanying snow, quite rare here) today or tomorrow - a couple of lightning strikes have already been recorded in the south east.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• We have half an inch of snow over night, but the sun's melting it just now, I have swept the greenhouse roof to reduce the weight on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  We have half an inch of snow over night, but the sun's melting it just now, I have swept the greenhouse roof to reduce the weight on it.
                  Sun is melting the snow here too, between the showers. With a very cold night tonight a certainty, underfoot conditions are likely to be lethal tomorrow.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• we've had loads here, coming in off the wash,just spent a lovely couple of hours up on the bank with the dogs, plenty more to come by the looks of it too...

Comment

• The models are now wobbling a bit about how far the less cold air gets at the weekend. The south is very likely to see a transition to rain and milder temperatures as is the Republic of Ireland, Wales and the Midlands will probably warm up too. These areas are at risk from substantial snow as this process takes place - the storm responsible has been named storm Emma (by the Portugese and therefore the Met Office - most confusing). Further north than that there is a risk that we will stay really quite cold, with the wind still in the east, although we lose the exceptionally cold upper air temperatures.

The uncertainty is shown well on the ensemble chart for York:

Name:	ens 27 Feb.jpg
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	2376631

Although the majority of members do show the warmer air arriving and upper air temperatures returning to normal, quite a number of them stay well below the red average line, some of them all the way to 15th March. The GFS (the model that produces these charts) is one of the warmer ones...

Go away winter - don't you know its spring on Thursday!

Comment

• Spot the snow showers! This is the temperature graph for today from one of the local personal weather stations:

Name:	temp.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	2376632

Note how the red temperature line plummets to the level of the dew point when it starts to snow, and rises quickly above it when the sun comes out. Now that the sun has gone down the temperature is falling rapidly.

You can find local weather stations on https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap - simply zoom out, scroll, and home in on your location to find the nearest ones to you.

Comment

• Ta Pen - as always spot on.

At 7am the thermometer said -5. We have a couple of inches of snow and its bucketing down with more at the moment.

Comment

• Even got half an inch or so here - South Cumbria but only 20' or so above sea level and less than half a mile from the sea. It's got to be pretty bad to get any down here.
                            Outside thermometer says the lowest we got was -3.3 and currently -2.2 - hope the little heater in the cold frame has done its job.

Comment

• Originally posted by chris_m View Post
                              Even got half an inch or so here - South Cumbria but only 20' or so above sea level and less than half a mile from the sea. It's got to be pretty bad to get any down here.
                              Outside thermometer says the lowest we got was -3.3 and currently -2.2 - hope the little heater in the cold frame has done its job.
                              There were photos on Twitter yesterday of snow covering Scarborough beach - it is plenty cold enough for the snow to fall at sea level at the moment.

We've had another couple of inches of it here from some very heavy showers - more to come I suspect, although the sun is out at the moment. The weather stations say its about -4 out there but it feels warmer to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                                There were photos on Twitter yesterday of snow covering Scarborough beach - it is plenty cold enough for the snow to fall at sea level at the moment.
                                True - but around here there's usually nothing left to fall this low down, because it's all been dumped on the fells.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X