Clear All

• First Frosts 2022

That time is approaching again folks!

Who will be first?

Here are previous ones for comparison….
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...st-frosts-2021
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

It was pretty cold last night, and will be again tomorrow. No frosts here in Somerset, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were in places further north.

Comment

Good grief!
      I wasn’t expecting to be the first to post on here!….mostly in our exposed field/ garden and on the cars.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9C4675A4-0F68-4D41-B719-C7C4A66A865A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	268.1 KB ID:	2551961
      Last edited by Nicos; 18-09-2022, 07:51 AM.

Comment

And that was enough of a frost to zap some of our french bean leaves ​​​​​​…and nasturtiums

Comment

I did have a mini panic this morning when I could see a neighbour going around his car windows until I realised he only had one of those rubber window cleaning things in his hand and was squidging of the heavy dew/ condensation.

So false alarm....so far. It really is too early for us.

Comment

9th of October here near Worksop.
            It has just been a little nip at some of the squash and tomato leaves.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2856.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	2552811
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I've been away since Monday, and it seems there was a light frost while I was away, most likely Monday night.
              Some of the squash and sweet potato leaves are dead now, and slightly worryingly there are two small dark patches on two of the squash fruits which I fear may be frost damage.
              Otherwise, though, no damage. The peppers, tomatoes, beans, cape gooseberries are all still unharmed.

Comment

That may well have been the same night we had frost.
                I noticed a few spotty marks on the skin of a couple of butternuts and harvested them. The other winter squashes set fewer larger fruits mostly at the start of the hot weather and are now ripe enough to stand some frost. They still have green vines even though the leaves have largely faded away. Leaving them on will help them keep. I have harvested several where the vines have browned off.
                Last edited by Plot70; 15-10-2022, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                  That may well have been the same night we had frost.
                  I noticed a few spotty marks on the skin of a couple of butternuts and harvested them. The other winter squashes set fewer larger fruits mostly at the start of the hot weather and are now ripe enough to stand some frost.
                  One of the fruit with the worrying mark is already fully ripe (the other is only half ripe), though.
                  Both are butternuts, and butternuts do have thinner skins than other winter squashes, so that may well be why (I also had several other winter squash just sat around, trying to give them some sun, and none have any damage at all).

Comment

Our first frost this morning. Last year it was 14 October. Which was between three and seven days earlier than usual this year, about three weeks later than usual and the latest ever for us.
                    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 06-11-2022, 02:46 PM.

Comment

First frost for us this morning - 1 deg and just on cars and shed roofs (probably be down to the ground on the lotty where it's a bit more open).
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

First frost here as well today, GH temp was 1.5c its only 2.2c just now. We have a crunchy lawn and frost covering the trailers and cars.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Really thick frost on the cars and roofs here.Some on the grass. It's 2°C now and starting to melt.

Comment

I have seen frost on cars today. We had a frost that slightly singed the squash leaves a few weeks ago.

Comment

I have been and had a look at the plot and the dahlias are now black ready for covering with manure.
                              The cape gooseberries have still got plenty of green that has not been chased down into the root stocks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X