Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunset 3 mins later. Sun is coming back!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunset 3 mins later. Sun is coming back!

Sunset 3 mins later tonight than 21st. I can see why those old pagans got excited at this time of the year.

And yeh, I know about the equation of time and sunrise getting later too but I'm still asleep then.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

I thought sunrise got earlier.....but I'm probably wrong. I do get confused.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
      I thought sunrise got earlier.....but I'm probably wrong. I do get confused.
      So did I. Well anyway, it's heading in the right direction. Hurrah!

I'm waiting on the delivery of two uber early snowdrop varieties, supposedly reliable before the new year (one is called Santa Claus). Every year I wish I'd spent the money the year before to have some flowering extra early, as an anticipation of spring to come. Well, this year I've done it!
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Sunrise will get earlier but not yet.

Between 21st and 26th sunset got 3 mins later but sunrise also got a minute later so we only gained 2min more dayligh

Will come right in the end

Reason is complicated. See https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ary-explained/
        Last edited by quanglewangle; 26-12-2021, 08:03 AM.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Perhaps an easier indication that the sun will return is shadow length.

A 1m stick would have cast its shortest shadow of about 3380mm on 21st (at 1220Z) and today that's down to about 3360mm {at 1223Z)

A just about detectable difference measured with a bit of string with knots in it.

Figures for West Cornwall YMMV

Comment

Thanks Quanglewangle, that article in the Washington Post was enlightening.

Just glad we're heading back to longer days and warmth!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X