This will start stuff growing...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This will start stuff growing...

Good news. When the sun is out it's starting to get more intense.

We have been getting periods of photon flux density of over 500 μmol s-1 m-2 in last few days. Tomatoes and aubergines need 400 μmol s-1 m-2 just to get out of bed in the morning.

Mine have been hanging on but from now on I expect them to get going.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

I’ve noticed we’ve had a UV of 1 when the sun has been out. How does that relate to photon flux?

I can’t help but chuckle...all that comes to mind is a Delorian steaming away
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos, UV of 1 what? What are the units?
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

It just says Max UV Index 1 on the accuweather.com forecast - it goes up to 9 here at the night of summer

No idea about the units

Comment

What follows contains sweeping assumptions. Be warned.

Noon summer sun reaches about 1500-1800 μmol s-1 m-2 so lets say your 9 is 1800 μmol s-1 m-2
          That's about 200 μmol s-1 m-2 for each 1 on your scale.

200 μmol s-1 m-2 is not unreasonable for hazy winter sun.

I would expect on that basis for your reading to get to 2 at noon soon now with unobscured sun. If the sensor points straight up there is a cosine correction to apply to allow for the fact that the sun is quite low in the sky at the moment.

Comment

OK...thanks - That helped me understand other links I read through .
            I’ve never really looked into/ thought deeply about growlights or natural light particles per second per area before.
            Interesting reading- thanks.

Comment

Nicos, since you are interested here is a day's worth of sunshine data. This is today: mostly sunny with some fine weather cumulus.
              Growing really only happens above 400 μmol s-1 m-2.
              The big dip is shadow of a bush, which the sun will clear in a few weeks. The little dips are clouds.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210208_180128_com.android.chrome.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	2517529

Comment

Gosh ,yes, that IS interesting to see!
                Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I'm intrigued, QW. What are you using for your readings?

Anecdotal evidence here only: the weeds are sprouting and the grass is growing.

Comment

^^^^
                    BH1715FVC light intensity sensor under hemispherical dome to effect some cosine correction. Connected to Raspberry pi running home brewed software. Backs off supplemental lights when sun is bright enough. (not often at present!)

Same setup, with temperature sensors, controls heat cables under greenhouse bed and propagater sand tray.

Comment

Sounds high tech stuff. I live off grid and don't have grow lights, not even a windowsill, in fact. Hope you have a great growing year, QW. Looks like you have everything you need to get off to a good start.

Comment

Sun is nudging 600 s-1 m-2 .
                        Further up the thread I posted a daily graph from about a month a ago when sun was peaking just under 500 s-1 m-2.

Summer is coming

Click image for larger version

Name:	solar.png
Views:	143
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	2519872

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X