Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Judie, first wet day we have had for AGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 17mm all at once. I just ask myself if there is any more but the forcast is for it to dry up again. I no longer use the R word in the hope that if I don't mention it it may just happen
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

We here in Dublin, Ireland hope if we don't mention the R word it might just go away. Have had rain and wind for the last three days. I guess nobody is completely happy all the time.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I would just love three days of R***. It may start to penetrate the soil that passes for concrete. Still I am getting loads done outside and the house is a tip!!! But then there will be R**** days when I can sort it out.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Another fine week except for one day of heavy showers. Total R***fall for the week was 21.5mm, the most we have had in a week for 9 weeks Temperatures are falling with a low last night of 5C and a high of 16 on Monday. We have lit the wood burner for the first time today. Yesterday I picked a dozen peppers from the plants which are outside and some chillies as well. The courgettes are still producing slowly but too many to to pull the plants up yet. I may just leave them until the frost gets them.

See I didn't use the 'R' word so maybe there is some more up there
          Last edited by roitelet; 08-10-2006, 06:19 PM. Reason: can't type

Comment

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No mention of the 'R' word and we had a whole31mm in one go giving a total for the week of 35mm. Still mild on the whole with a low of 5C on Friday and a high of 22 on Tuesday. The **** has meant that I have been able to make good progress with the digging but even so the ground is dry a spit down that is where the soil has not been disturbed for donkeys years.

I have lifted the first parsnip today 18 ins long and straight and very delicious it was too.

I am off to the UK for three weeks and I hope that Compost King will keep a record of the weather for me to post when I get back.

Good Gardening everyone.

Comment

WOW I have only just noticed that I have germinated into a Seedling Thanks

Comment

Well I'm back! The best thing was, while I was in the UK I managed to get a copy of GYO Super magazing and I have been bought a subscription for Christmas AND I got a copy of RJ Harris, Moon Gardening so I am going to try some of that next year.

Compost King has done a really good job of keeping a record of the weather for me

Up until the end of October the temperatures were very mild with a high of 26C on the 24th and a low of 9C on the 29th. However on the 1st November the temperatures really plummeted and it fell like a stone to -3C this continued for the next 7 days with a low of -7C on the 6th. The highest daytime temperature for this period was 11C. After this the temperatures have been seesawing with a low today of 9C and a high of 14C. As far as the R*** is concerned over the whole period we have had 41.75mm which is not lot for the time of year.

The Garlic I planted before I left is now about 8ins high and the overwinter onions have put on a spurt. I won't be saving the chillies as the frost has got them. Oriental salad is doing really well as is the Mache and the Optimum lettuce are coming along fine. Must get the cloches over them.

Now Im back I am really looking forward to reading all the posts Iv'e missed, when I get time from weeding. Will somebody please tell them that they are not supposed to grow at this time of year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

They are not supposed to grow at this time of year roitelet. But due to the weather conditions they think otherwise and no-one has yet told them any different.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Weeds and grass keep growing all year round - it's the plants you cherish that struggle. Still, I find weeding quite therapeutic - you can just let your mind go sort of blank for a bit, and then when you've done a patch you look at and feel really good.

Comment

Heavens is it Sunday again already? Where did the week go?

Comment

Heavens is it Sunday again already? Where did the week go?

Beginning to turn cold at last 2C last night, the lowest this week and on Thursday it hit 15C. The weather generally has been overcast with some r**n and drizzle and a little sun on Tuesday and a bit more today. Had some strongish wind at the end of the week. Total wetness for the week was 22.25mm.

Root veg are standing well although I have had to lift the carrots before the slugs finished them off. Days are getting short especially as I an 1hr ahead so by 5pm the light has almost gone. Weeding in the dark isn't much fun!

I have put up the posts and wire for the Raspberries and now just have to beg the plants from a friend.

Comment

Not a bad week for the time of year but strange weather none the less. I saw a butterfly today and its nearly December

High temperature of 14C today and a low of 1C overnight on Wednesday and a bit damp 24mm.

I have planted Raspberries, Red and Black Currants, Gooseberris and Shallots today and done a bit more planting in the huge flower bed I have dug Now I am going to watch a film with glass of wine in hand. If I can stay awake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Still very strange weather! This week we have had two frosts, and, for the first time this year I have seen ice on the pond. Mostly the weather has been good and today was the only day (wet and windy) that I have not been able to get out in the garden. Still it did mean that I made a start on all those little DIY jobs that have been hanging around for months and months.

High this week of 12C and low of -4C and precipitation of 16.5mm. You see still not using the 'R' word! Still picking Oriental salad growing outside and I have not yet put the cover on the cold frame. Strawberries are trying to flower The odd butterfly about and signs of frog life in the pond.

I hope that it doesn't mean that we are going to pay for this weather later in the year. Daughter working in Kazakhstan tells me that the temperature has already fallen to -28C That doesn't bear thinking about!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

DIY jobs done and gardening this week has been OFF All I can say about the weather has been WET WET WET ( or was that a pop group?) and windy too. Last Sunday was an indication of things to come! Monday to Friday were not particulary cold but the damp made it feel so. On Saturday the sun tried to shine but didn't make it and today has been frosty this morning and then sunny and dry all day, but the ground is too wet to get on. Max this week was 12C and min -3 and precipitation 44mm. Quite a record!!!!! I think that it is the most I have recorded since I started reporting weather.

I don't quite know how but the builders have managed to get the first coat of render on the house, but what a mess. Ruts from wheel barrows in the grass cement all over the place! Oh well it will give me something to do in the Spring Or maybe Compost King will do it when he gets back!!

Comment

Sunday again already! A fairly dry week all told except for Monday which was wet and nasty. Low this week was -4C and high of 9C with 17mm of the wet stuff. Next week promises to be much colder and I have finally put the top on the cold frame.

Not much happening in the lottie patch but the spring bulbs are beginning to show and the winter digging is in progress,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X