Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh could well be Aberdeen! Its a very rolling sea coming into the harbour at Aberdeen, with a very small entrance and where the sand and silt from the River Dee has built up over the years, the entrance is not as deep as it was.

Mind you hearing the wind outside I wouldn't want to have been on a boat sailing in that!
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

• Unbelievable gale force winds last and as they were from the SE-East our bedroom window was battered by horizontal hail and sleet all through the night. Thunder and lightening too at 3 am this morning.

I wish I could provide you with "noise-a-vision"! The wind is absolutely howling around the house - I feel as though we are in a tent in the Arctic. It really is unbelievably noisy. Still got horizontal hail and sleet, probably going past at about 50 - 60 miles an hour.

NOT a day for going anywhere, however ......... our heating is down again and I think we may need to look for a warm house later this afternoon if not successful with getting some replacement parts!
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

• Originally posted by JennieAtkinson
        Unbelievable gale force winds last and as they were from the SE-East our bedroom window was battered by horizontal hail and sleet all through the night. Thunder and lightening too at 3 am this morning.

I wish I could provide you with "noise-a-vision"! The wind is absolutely howling around the house - I feel as though we are in a tent in the Arctic. It really is unbelievably noisy. Still got horizontal hail and sleet, probably going past at about 50 - 60 miles an hour.

NOT a day for going anywhere, however ......... our heating is down again and I think we may need to look for a warm house later this afternoon if not successful with getting some replacement parts!
        Howling winds are my least favourite weather phenomena. We live in a Vale and the wind makes some really weird noises as it blows down the valley, it keeps me awake at night. When it blows over the chimney - more odd sounds! Doesn't sound quite as bad as with you though Jenny...

...I imagine the pub might be quite warm?
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 04-01-2008, 11:51 AM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• It has been blowing here for days now, cancelled boats wet dog from morn till night and yes the noise of the wind is sometimes so strong we cant here the tv but with the rubbish that is on at the moment that cant be bad.

Comment

• Helloooo ! Back in the land of the living at last.

Power cuts, no heating (boy it was cold!), last of the food, 70 mph winds and now whats it doing .............

.............. NOTHING! it is so calm outside you could light a candle!

Been three horrendous days of non stop 50 mph plus winds (although alot fo the time it was pushing 70 mph). The noise and the general buffeting really does get to you after a while and now it seems sooooo peaceful. A boat got in this morning from Aberdeen. It has been trying to sail since 5pm Thursday evening, so I imagine all the fresh food on board will be "off" by now. It was a pretty rough trip by all accounts.

Thankfully no damage here, the polytunnel still all intact (apparently I am one of the few people who leaves the plastic up in Shetland over the winter - I didn't know that until last week!), greenhouse just a gem and never moving or showing any signs of the buffeting it was getting. Just lost the top of the water butt, but found it in the field next to the house, a bit battered!

Roll on spring!
            ~
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

• Sorry Jennie,

Should've read this before I pm'd you - glad it's not too bad there atm
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

• Originally posted by JennieAtkinson
                Helloooo ! Back in the land of the living at last.

Power cuts, no heating (boy it was cold!), last of the food, 70 mph winds and now whats it doing .............

.............. NOTHING! it is so calm outside you could light a candle!
                Hope its not the calm before the storm?
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• Glad you survived Jennie. It's amazing how quickly big old houses get cold with no heating - our boiler too has packed in and the place is freezing apart from the kitchen where the wood burning stove is on overtime.
                  I'm beginning to think that boilers have an in-built breakdown button which activates when the temp drops below freezing
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hte to say this but its been like a spring day here today. Got a couple of hours digging in the veg plot. Had a lovely long walk with the sun blazing down. uhh just checked metcheck website and expecting a cold spell from 2mor....ah well it was good while it lasted......
                    Helen

Comment

• Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                      I'm beginning to think that boilers have an in-built breakdown button which activates when the temp drops below freezing
                      Ours seem to have an in built breakdown button for Christmas!

Good luck with getting yours going again
                      ~
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

• Blue skies, sunshine, light wind, light dusting of snow, feezing temps.

What more could a girl ask for on a day off!
                        ~
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

• A bad storm on its way. So bad the Aberdeen - Lerwick boat has been cancelled (already) for Thursday night and possibly Friday night due to the weather conditions.

Visitors arrive tomorrow (perhaps!), then it will be batten down the hatches and see what happens.

today has just been wet and miserable (and a bit windy).
                          ~
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

• Todaywas a belter of a day until about three o'clock. Calm, sunny, and actually quite warm. Then we had heavy rain and now it's getting somewhat chilly outside. I've stopped lookingat the weather forecast - just gonna take it as it comes.
                            Rat

British by birth
                            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• The wind is really picking up at the moment (anybody told it it is not supposed to do that until tomorrow evening?!)

Still wet and miserable but with wind!
                              ~
                              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

• Horrendous storm on its way for us. Forecasting hurricane force winds (90 - 100 mph), heavy snow and major drifting. We are all taking work home with us tonight as it doesn't look as though there will be much moving here in the islands over the next couple of days. Apparently set to last well into Saturday.

It was very windy last night and although a slight drop in the wind this morning it is now building up again. It is BITTERLY cold. Temperature appears to be about 3 degrees, but I don't know what the wind chill is for 50 mph winds (which is what appears to be blowing at the moment).

Ta ta ee noo (goodbye for now!) - I may be gone a little while (given that our broadband connection at Tingwall was damaged in the last storm).
                                ~
                                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X