No announcement yet.

France

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I notice that it is predicted to go -1C tonight --- just a few days after the plum trees have come in to bloom! Just hope they don't suffer too much as we didn't have any fruit last year as a result of frosts.

Comment

We've had a light frost for the past 4 nights now....and lovely and warm during the day.
      Looks like the pear trees are wanting to open up any time now ( no sign of life on my plum trees as yet !)

Strawberry plants have suddenly bulked up and the blueberries are beginning to open up.
      Another clear blue sky...
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Our pears are also looking as if they are ready to open up - I've had a quick word with them and suggested that they wait until the very cold nights have passed!

Comment

Ha!...well that's the thing isn't it....mine are espaliered- and I can easily put a fleece on them at night- but we're away next weekend for 10 days-and if I leave it on the flowers will open quicker and not be pollinated- and if I leave it off , then the frost will get them....again!

How long is this cold snap supposed to last??

( it's nice to be able to think of it being a 'cold snap' instead of back into winter!)

Comment

Yesterday was gloriously sunny after a very cold night but the wind was so cold, I left the babies in their little cold frame houses rather than give them a shock.

Warmer today so will let them out in a few minutes.
            TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

its been so warm here that my apricot and peach are flowering and the sap is rising in the grapevines (actual grapevines - tho i'm sure the sap might be rising in this grape vine too)
              the pears are not quite there yet but they are tiny little things .....we havent had a frost for a while but it is cold at night ....my lemon tree is out on the terrace......will send photo asap.............
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

We have CLOUDS!!!!!!

Comment

Here is the terrace - you can see the lemon tree to right and here is view from terrace looking out to the river - if you turn round you can see the road (not taken a photo of that!!!)
                  Attached Files

Comment

We have blossom on the vine peaches, the plums and the small cherry tree, which blossoms earlier than the big one. And the vine has been dripping for a couple of weeks now.

Been another very sunny but a bit of a chilly day, only 19 degrees when we were eating lunch on the terrace today.

But managed to plant out half the new hedge, 10 shrubs in, plus more tidying and more odds and sods - retirement is starting to get seriously interesting
                    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Today was cold am, not too cold tho. Was out by 10 and have worked through until about half an hour ago and it's still warmish and gloriously sunny. Weather is prevision for a change on Thursday tho our little micro climate seems often to be overlooked, so long as it showers overnight and leaves the days for us to get outside .

Have planted most of the hedge today, started yesterday, only two more hibiscus and a Japanese Quince to get in tomorrow, then it's building a new arch at the top of the steps and re-assembling the bench which I didn't get round to today.

I seriously do like having the time to sit and think and plan the garden
                      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Isn't retirement great! It's about a year since I gave up all paid work and substituted it for unpaid (in monetary terms) work in the garden. There's much less pressure to get things done and time to look at what you are doing.
                        The rain yesterday morning did nothing but briefly change the colour of the soil. I think we could now do with proper rain to help the seeds that I have planted directly in to the veg garden. Weather today is a bit more cloudy but no prospect of rain.
                        Must get out and finish putting up the cold frame I bought from Gamm Vert (Leclerc locally didn't have them - after their publicity raised my hopes of a cheap frame).
                        Last edited by Rodley; 25-03-2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Its raining now here! Got another row of spuds in this after...so its needed.
                          Also got a mini greenhouse in Le Foir Feuille (or Le Faux Fillet as we call it) in Cahors last week - 17.99 which is a lot cheaper than Carrefour and Gamm Vert (35 euros).

Comment

Rained last evening but not for long, but just after I finished planting the new hedge so excellent timing.

Overcast all of today, bit brighter this afternoon, working on chum's new potager but meteo prevision for the next few days is grim indeed!
                            TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Hi all

Back in UK after very successful trip to 24 to construct garage - weather for such activity perfect, and only broke day before wecame back :-)

Full move comes next wed - cant wait!!!! No internet yet tho, so keeping up with the forums could be a bit hit and miss for a while. never mind, always a trip for a Macky D once in a while, till we get sorted :-)

Thanks for the weather link Rodley - will be very useful

M

Comment

Macky D in the Dordogne, not too many of those around but there are Internet cafes in Perigueux and Sarlat!

Weather in Noir was really overcast today, no sun but I managed to get out for the greater part of the day, it was however very warm!
                                TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X