X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to coil up a hose

This is one that has frustrated me for years

https://youtu.be/p3LD6CL_83o

Wait, you mean I'm not supposed to just leave it trailing about all over my back garden until I need it again?
    Last edited by self-contained; 24-05-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I've found the easiest way is to leave it trailing over the garden....when OH trips over it, he coils it up.

Comment

I have a windy uppy thingy.

Comment

I have a windy uppy thingy too, so I leave it trailed all along the path!

Comment

If you want to temporarily move a hose out of the way and your windy uppy thingy is too far away or takes a long time, its best to make the loops in to a figure of 8 - this means that when you want to use it again it won't knot up with itself, so you can just pull it straight.

Comment

I never understand why hoses (like cables), can get knots in them.

It never hooped inside it's self, and wasn't knotted when I last used it.
              It's like there are knot faries who's only object in life is to knot up lenths of hose, cables and string.

Pesky little blighters.

Comment

I think there's a torsion effect of uncoiling a hose wound in a circle in to a straight line by pulling on one end, if the main part of the winding is not rotated too ( ie no windy-uppy-thingy is used) - if you were to draw a chalk line down one side of the hose you could see it twisting as you pulled it out from a circular winding, I reckon ( I'm geeky, and like 3 dimensional maths problems)

The figure of 8 coiling gets round this issue by torsioning in opposite twisting senses for each half of the 8 when coiled this way, so pulls straight without knotting. (I believe it was a method commonly used on sailing boats, when large piles of rope had be coiled and uncoiled regularly)

Comment

My hose goes out in the spring and I wind in up before 1st frost. 100m or so. There are a couple of "Y" valve connectors and it runs up the side of the path to stop tripping and the car damaging it.

Just need to remember to leave it flat against the ground.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X