wasp traps

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wasp traps

hi it will soon be wasp season so heres a tip for getting them away from your house.

get an old glass jar and pierce a hole in its lid about 5 pence piece size

half fill the jar with a sweet mixture of jam, water cordial anything sweet

screw on the lid and place in a spot you dont mind the wasps visiting.

occasionaly give it a gentle swirl every other day

the wasps get in cant get out and drown however, they are away from your house.

ive used these to keep them away from fruit crops and the house
    gardenning torture for some, a sanity check for others..........

Hello again Wolf. Thanks for that one as we can be plagued with wasps in late summer.Will give it a go.
    Last edited by Alice; 19-04-2006, 07:42 PM.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Wolf, I've got one of the jars you are talking about but never had much success with it - last year I had a wasps nest and still didn't get any in the jar so I must be making up the ratio incorrectly, any tips?
      www.poultrychat.com

Comment

We used to trap wasps like this when we were weans in Glasgow - never bothered with a lid, just jam and water - then watched them drown. Guess I've always been a nature lover
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

magic mix

i use a mix of jam golden syrup and neat cordial with a little hot water TO MIX
          gardenning torture for some, a sanity check for others..........

Comment

Wasp and slug traps...

Yep, this works with a honey/water solution too. PC - it will probably be best with 2-3 tsp honey to half a jar of water - you don't need to fill the jar up to the top and the mix doesn't have to be that strong. The only down side is that other insects like bees and hover flies - both good for your garden - are attracted my the sweet smell and drown too

You can make slug traps too by sinking a pint glass into the ground so the top is level with the soil and then filling it up with beer, slugs and snails love beer so they head straight for it, get drunk and then fall in and drown, what a way to go! Personally I would rather drink the beer myself than serve it - and any other crops they can get their chompers on - to the pesky blighters
            You can take the girl out of East Anglia but you can't take the East Anglian out of the girl. I can't afford the operation so my feet will always be webbed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X