Enviromesh vs net curtains

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enviromesh vs net curtains

Is there any reason why using enviromesh would work better than just using an old net curtain, to keep insects off the brassicas? (Cauliflower and broccoli).

Also would it work the same with the carrot and parsnip patch?

net curtains are much heavier, but other than that there isn't a lot of difference. Fleece is great for carrots, keeping away carrot fly.

Comment

I use dress making netting but only beacuse I was given it for free and thought that will do (very small holes that nothing can get through)

Comment

Does enviromesh let more light through? It seems to be clearer than net curtain. Also net curtain tends to have some slightly bigger holes in it. I'd use it for cabagges to stop butterflies but I'm not sure it would stop carrot fly. Dress making netting sounds good though, I'll have to look out some of that. And handy to be able to wash it too!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Was wondering about some of this stuff as well. I am thinking of orderting some ultrafine enviromesh from Harrod Horticultural.

Comment

iv'e got net curtains on my cabbages and if you really try hard in second hand shops you may find a plain patterned net curtian that has fine holes.
            ---) CARL (----
            ILFRACOMBE
            NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Do the net curtains go rotten more quickly? It never failed to amaze me how quickly the net curtains went black etc in the bathroom when we lived south (don't have to bother with net curtains here - no neighbours!)

The Enviromesh is very fine mesh and does let alot of light in. It is not easy to "drape" though. It is quite stiff.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

the cost of net curtains is very low in charity shops and i managed to get enough netting to cover my 6 beds for £5 if your not fussy about the design.
                ---) CARL (----
                ILFRACOMBE
                NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Does the net curtain stop white fly?
                  Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

I have fine net without any pattern. Bought it in a fabric shop as remnents from the end of a roll. Seems to work well for me.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Nylon 'voile' is the stuff I intend using. Pale green if I can get it!

Damm site cheaper than enviromesh and will hopefully work just as well!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I never saw you as that kind of person Snadger! Does green suit your complexion? Bernie aka Dexterdog
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                          I never saw you as that kind of person Snadger! Does green suit your complexion? Bernie aka Dexterdog
                          Green with envy at LJ's paypacket!

Better than using the fishnets anyway! Flies get through them too easily!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Got loads of fishnet tights - problem with always being in panto! Thought they might be quite good for melons?
                            ~
                            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Well actually Jennie, Nick and I will take some of your hands for our "Friday nights" out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X