Getting Kernals off Your SweetiCobs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Kernals off Your SweetiCobs

Sometimes, your freezer is full up to its armpits already so soon my life, (I wonder how THAT happened?!), and you just can't find the room to freeze any more corn on the actual cob, and it's dead fiddly to get the kernals off, no?

A few years ago, I splashed out on a Kernal-Stripping-Gizmo, which worked well, but I felt I was leaving behind quite a lot of the kernal on the cob, and IT had more control over what I was doing than I did myself.

Whilst Trousers and BC (Other Half and Cat) were playing with a bit of string in the garden this evening (both of them Mad as A Box of Spanners, which is lovely....), I harvested and blanched 13 juicy fat cobs (4 at a time mostly), whilst the water was boiling furiously already on the Rayburn to preserve utmost freshability of the harvest......

Excellent, another new 'Wellie Word' for my alternative dictionary: 'Freshability'.

So, having blanched and cooled them, I had one of my 'Ping' brilliant idea moments, and got the Grapefruit Knife out of the drawer (we never buy fresh grapefrut, so I'm not sure why I've got one).

For the first SweetiCob, it's worked brilliantly, so cross your fingies, I'm just going back into The Funny Farm Kitchen now to extend my research on the other twelve whilst Trousers and the cat are watching Arsenal.

And I shall report more extensively when I'm happy with my best technique for you, should you be remotely interested, obviously....

Oh, AND I had yet another 'Ping', in that once you've blanched the cobs, removed them from the pan, keep that water in the saucepan, so that when you've stripped the kernals off the cobs, stick the empty cobs back in the water, boil it/simmer it/whatevver, and then use the liquor as part of a stock to make a really yummy Chowder/Soup or something.
    Personally, our favourite is Smoked Chicken and Sweetcorn Chowder Soup...... Mmmmm!
    X

Hi Wellie, lovely to 'see' you online

Now I just wish I had some sweetcorn to try your brill sounding tricks on (I think mine might just make an appearance in the worst crop section of the vine show)

Love to Trousers and the gardening cat xx
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I've just been running a sharp knife down - they tend to go everywhere, but seems to work well for me.. wasn't even aware a grapefruit knife exists. Goes off to google what it is

Comment

chrismarks, it's a curved knife that's serrated 'all round itself', and actually, can sometimes come in useful on the odd spurious moment when you've got A Pinny on......

Comment

I find a grapefruit knife useful when preparing stuffed courgettes & tomatoes
          but the sweetcorn idea sounds brilliant.

Comment

okay, there's good news and bad news, and completely unlike the 'joke', you don't get to choose which order you receive them in, but honestly, don't have a Hissy Fit over it, because this is actually a right royal 'big up' for the SweetiCob Corn Kernal Stripper Gizmo'. I've tried a number of options along the way now to try and prove it wrong, but actually, it is definitely the best at stripping kernals off the cob, reliably, effectively, efficiently, and utmostly, with speed.

I shan't ditch my Grapefruit Knife trick though, because, that's invaluable for getting some 'perfectly formed' kernals off the cob for when you actually need them in a perfect situation.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X