Confused by Rod, Pole or Perch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
    I never understood why? people want to keep the old weights & measures system.So complicated !!
    Heritage dear boy! It was based on real things, a pace= a yard. an inch= distance from end of thumb to first joint, a foot=self explanatory!.All the rest were based on how much a man could plough in a day or area a family could survive on. Better than this new fangled metric system which is a numerical system based on nothing.
    Even the old game of cricket was payed on a wicket that is 22yds or a chain apart! A chain is part of a furlong which is part of a mile! Long live imperial measurements, or do we all want to become metric European beurocrats? Just realised this wine is 14% proof...think i'll shut up now!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Tell you what snadger.

I'll agree with you if you can get computers to think in fractions. decimals are horrid but without base 10 etc as a way of divising I think I'd end up shooting myself at the end of the day. imperial calcualtions and programming....

Arrrghhhhhhh.

Angie (going to get some more wine now to recover from the horror)
      Newbie gardener in Cumbria.
      Just started my own website on gardening:

http://angie.weblobe.net/Gardening/

Comment

Originally posted by vertangie View Post
        Tell you what snadger.

I'll agree with you if you can get computers to think in fractions. decimals are horrid but without base 10 etc as a way of divising I think I'd end up shooting myself at the end of the day. imperial calcualtions and programming....

Arrrghhhhhhh.

Angie (going to get some more wine now to recover from the horror)
        If imperial measures were all you had you wouldn't have anything to compare it with!

When you had a quids worth of change in your pockets which could be 240 huge bronze pennies or 480 hapneys or a mixture of theepenny bits, tanners,shillings,half dollars and florins, the weight in your pocket made you think you were rich............. and your troosers fall down!

Full credit to the yanks who have still kept imperial weights and measures, they have even resisted metrication in engineering!

God forbid we adopt the Euro and become another member state without an identitiy!

Rule Brittannia!
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          If imperial measures were all you had you wouldn't have anything to compare it with!

When you had a quids worth of change in your pockets which could be 240 huge bronze pennies or 480 hapneys or a mixture of theepenny bits, tanners,shillings,half dollars and florins, the weight in your pocket made you think you were rich............. and your troosers fall down!

Full credit to the yanks who have still kept imperial weights and measures, they have even resisted metrication in engineering!

God forbid we adopt the Euro and become another member state without an identitiy!

Rule Brittannia!
          Mmmm 3& a half ozs of cheese at 4/7d halfpenny a pound work that one out in your head!!!
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

960 farthings! Try counting that lot!!!
            Brian Clough

Comment

1 : 63,360 scale on old ordnance survey maps
              Brian Clough

Comment

A litre of Wine/water weighs 1 kilo!
                Brian Clough

Comment

Old pennies are used to regulat the clock at the house of commons by putting on or taking off on the pendulum!(Big Ben is the hour bell!)
                  Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                    1 : 63,360 scale on old ordnance survey maps
                    Or one inch to the mile!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Company I used to work for(Brush) went metric in 1971.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X