Seed dispenser

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed dispenser

With fingers that dont work quite as well as they did when I was younger I find sowing seed sparsley quite hard and wasteful, having to thin out masses. I would like buy one of those fancy seed dispensers and wondered if anyone in the forum (1) uses one (2) how do they find it, useful, waste of money? would recommend any one in particular.

All info appreciated
    thanks
    Attia of the julii

Never used one myself, but looking at them I should think it would be quite fiddly filling and using them, so maybe not ideal for stiff fingers.

Comment

why not just mix the seed with dry sand,this should reduce the amount of thining out

Comment

I've used this type

and found it a waste of money

Comment

I got one of those types free with a magazine, tried it a couple of times and it was entirely useless.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

it appears from what been said that the syringe type dispensers are next to useless, I was looking at some gardening web pages and saw these, I don't know if your needs would be met by either

seed pro dispenser

Seed Sower

its only £3 so might be worth a try

discription taken from an american site

Saves valuable seed and reduces thinning. Fits in the palm of your hand. Simply load seeds directly into the sower, then choose one of five settings to match the seed size. Tap sower gently to dispense seeds. The funnel- shaped spout makes it easy to put unused seeds back into the packet.
            Thought For The Day
            If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
            Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

this sounds daft, but I find that tipping just a few seeds into your hand, then pinching just a few of those at a time, helps me to sow thinly.

Mixing them with sand is a good tip for tiny tiny seeds like foxgloves.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have a 'dial' seed sower. I inherited it in the greenhouse when I brought my house.

I don't always remember to take it or often can't find it in my disorganised manner !! but when i have used it i have found it excellent - especially for carrots.

Comment

Hi Shirley ! I have a dial dispenser too, got it at Square One in George Street I think. I find it is a bit prone to clogging or feeding out two at a time if they are long, thin/non-round seeds, but otherwise works great. It's really handy for sowing outside on a windy day, when the seeds would blow out of your hand or the packet.
                  Probably more intended for use by market gardeners and the likes who are sowing scores of plants at once.
                  There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Sonic Seed Sower

I might have a go of building one of these....

Sonic Seed Sower

aka Neil

Comment

Originally posted by nilling View Post
                      I might have a go of building one of these....

Sonic Seed Sower

Hey Nilling,

Looks like a Doctor Who gizmo to me?
                      Cheers

Danny

Comment

This is so simple, just make sure you don't swallow any..............

YouTube - THE PRECISION SEED SOWER
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I used to teach 'special needs' students at horticultural college - tried so many seed sowing gadgets and methods.
                          The one that worked the best with a wide range of people was tipping the seeds onto a folded piece of fairly stiff paper, holding this above the seed tray or module and tapping with the other hand. With just a little practice even people with poor manual dexterity could sow single seeds quite precisely.
                          Hope it makes sense - it's actually just a slight development of tapping them out of the seed packet.

Comment

I use the dial type have done for years like the one in Enrich 100 second picture .
                            The syringe type are the nearest thing to chinese water torture that i have found...jacob
                            What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X