No announcement yet.

Credit Crunch Gift Ideas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the idea of carnivorous plants could appeal and could get them into growing stuff, thanks OWG! Yes you're not far from us although we're in Thornton-Cleveleys strictly speaking but Blackpool takes up less space in the profile!
    There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

Originally posted by LostGoddess View Post
      Yes the idea of carnivorous plants could appeal and could get them into growing stuff, thanks OWG! Yes you're not far from us although we're in Thornton-Cleveleys strictly speaking but Blackpool takes up less space in the profile!
      And then you get people going... "where?"... like we do!

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
        Exactly! but I have to confess that until I moved here I had never heard of the river Wyre and I had no idea what 'the Fylde' was until I embarrassingly had to ask my SO
        There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
          y,es We gt the same reaction and post can be erratic even though we live on the main road! we are the "newtown" of a nearby village that is off the road from a crossroads 1/2 a mile away, also our address shares the name of a nearby piece of common land some way behind us, you can imagine the confusion!!!!!
          Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

The teachers/ta's and breakfast club staff are all getting a pot with either dwarf cosmos or lupins in, wrapped in a bit of tissue and a handmade marker/card this year

Comment

This is a great time of the year to start thinking about alcofrolic drinkies - like raspberry voddie, limoncello, vanilla vodka etc and moving onto sloe gin etc later in the season. I gave a few bottles last year that went down well (and really did not suffer from being cheap brands). Especially if you make them up in noce recycled lemonade type bottles (clearly clearly labelled though).

I am working on a stash of knitted facecloths (using pure cotton yarn) for all my siblings, siblings IL, and their various significant others. A ball of cotton costs about €5 and makes at least 4 or often more cloths. (Lots of free patterns on the web once you are using them for personal/gift use and not commercial purposes). The scarves I knot for aunts and uncles last year were very well received (cost on average €10 each, although 2 were close to the actual budget allowed of €40 per person).

Now is also a good time to put a few vanilla pods into jars of castor sugar for bakers - slightly luxury (given cost of vanilla and a nice jar) but a lot cheaper than in shops. (Especially if you buy the sugar in a large bag).

Baked goods and sweets will also be used here this year - I doubt if I will get enough to make chutnies from my own harvests.

And I am also making other crafts - I plan on a few sets of Christmas tree decorations made from various knit , crochet and sewing things. And especially for my mum as some of the fabrics come from a stash from her mum.

Also making dollie clothes for DD.

So the only thing that I may purchase is a few books for DH's uncle and a CD or DVD for DH (to go with a hat and scarf set I already have part knit).

Comment

I have a couple of bottles of raspberry vodka on the go already and have made excess jam to make up into hampers. Just salted the first few gherkins to have a go at pickling them but want to check them out so that I can perfect it when I do a larger batch later in the summer.

Am considering having a go at making soap but haven't got around to sourcing the ingredients.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Xmas Hampers

I started a similar thread in April (!!) called Xmas Hampers!! (not sure how to link it to here!) and there are some great replies/ideas on there too.

Is there a way we can merge the two together?

Comment

Loving this thread - got some fantastic ideas.

Enjoyed the James Wong series and would love to make some of the bath bombs - could I please have those recipes Kirstyb?

Comment

cool thread
                      Got this idea from a friend a few years ago, could adapt as suits, she does it for
                      M&M cookies - get a tall jar, add the dry ingreds of recipe in pretty pattern. Pretty decoration on lid. Attatch recipe card.

If friends have dogs, it is very easy to make a christmas collar cover or bandana - or a few different ones for throughout the year
                      Last edited by elsie-scot; 17-07-2009, 06:54 PM.
                      Elsie

Comment

Would it be possible for grapes to post their "recipes" for all these lovely ideas? Soaps, bath bombs, biscuits etc. I'd love to know how to make these.
                        I do have a book however, but havent read it yet - Readers Digest "Hints and tips from times past" that has lots of good ideas in it - I got mine from a charity bookshop, does anyone else have a copy? Is it OK?
                        Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 18-07-2009, 05:49 PM. Reason: book details
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

What about a GYO kit?
                          Home made pretty seed packets (download the pattern)
                          Fill with a selection of seeds from your tin
                          Include a little diary with custom added comments on what to do when.

I am sure other grapes could think of other items to include in this?
                          BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                          Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

I'm doing loads of hampers this year and amongst other things will be saving unusual seeds for other growers. In particular the crimson broadies and lemon mange tout. Not huge packets but enough for them to then grow them on themselves. Have taken photos of the plant at it's best and will print this on the packet along with instructions for use etc.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              I'm doing loads of hampers this year and amongst other things will be saving unusual seeds for other growers. In particular the crimson broadies and lemon mange tout. Not huge packets but enough for them to then grow them on themselves. Have taken photos of the plant at it's best and will print this on the packet along with instructions for use etc.
                              that sounds a nice idea think i will 'steal' that idea from you!
                              Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Yep I will steal this idea as well.
                                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X