Newspaper Pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips & Warnings:
    • Place the pots in a seed tray and fill them with good-quality potting soil.

• Stack the newspaper pots side by side in the flat so that they'll support each other and prevent the sides from collapsing. Plant your chosen seeds; when the seeds have two sets of leaves, tear off the bottom half of the pot and plant - pot and all - into the ground. The pot will break down quickly once in the soil.

• Only use black printed news paper as colour pages may contain toxic petroleum-based colored ink.
    "A garden is a friend you can visit any time."

Comment

Clay; just tried the link and it worked fine.

Comment

I used the link this morning and it does work. I've found this useful tutorial. However I wouldn't but the demonstrator used coloured newsprint. How2Make - Newspaper Plant Pots

Comment

Originally posted by Elijay View Post
          I used the link this morning and it does work. I've found this useful tutorial. However I wouldn't but the demonstrator used coloured newsprint. How2Make - Newspaper Plant Pots
          Nice one.
          At least they are easier and quicker to make, but I am a little concerned about the open side part which may roll open when it is wet from the compost inside.

I'll have to give both types a go and see which holds up best.

Comment

I used some this year and I will recommend to use double layer of paper, once wet mine have just collapsed !

Comment

I would use a double layer of newsprint. What about securing it with a rubber band? If they're all wedged into a seed tray they should hold together.

Comment

Don't know if this is still true but 20 years ago my dad used to put shredded newspaper in the trench when planting spuds. Idea was that the ink is poisonous to Slugs

Comment

Originally posted by halften30 View Post
                  Don't know if this is still true but 20 years ago my dad used to put shredded newspaper in the trench when planting spuds. Idea was that the ink is poisonous to Slugs
                  it wouldn't work now becuase the ink has to meet safety standards, but newspaper is still damn good for helping break up the soil (encouraging wormage ).
                  Last edited by ClayGarden; 20-04-2008, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I use a double layer paper and I put a paper clip on the top to hold the flap in place - this is easy to removed when planting and reused again next year.
                    Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                    -- Alfred E. Neumann
                    http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Super thread thankyou.
                      I've got a little wooden die that is used to make pots just like the loo-roll ones. the only difference is it has a shapes saucer that you press it into when you've folded the bottom in . Force the two together & it sort of seals the bottom. bought it 20 yrs ago. jolly usefull little gadget.

Never had a problem with pots disintegrating too early if they are packed together for mutual support, not have I had a problem of need ing to break the bottom to help the roots come out. Generally, the act of planting is enough to weaken the base.

I'm a bit concerned about the printed papaer warnings. 2 reasons.
                      firstly I've just made up a large no of pots today from a glossy holiday mag that dropped through the door. ( It was all I could find ) will it kill any seeds or maybe just fragile ones. I'm re-sowing all my climbing beans cos someone came & ate ALL of mine during the rains last w/E.

Secondly for several years now I've been composting all paper & card except what I use for fire lighting. we have several 'drive in' compost heaps that get kitchen waste, mowings,hedge trimmings, old clothes, in fact anything biodegradeable. will the printed paper make the compost harmful? Haven't noticed a problem yet, but .......
                      Jane

Comment

Had a look at Newspaper Seed Starter Pots
                        it looks comprehensive thanks.
                        However I don't have a degree in origami so I might just try my old mechanism. Fold the sheet a few times and wrap around a can and staple.
                        Regards
                        JimL
                        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by ClayGarden View Post
                          it wouldn't work now becuase the ink has to meet safety standards, but newspaper is still damn good for helping break up the soil (encouraging wormage ).
                          now the slugs would just curl up and die of boredom from reading our newspapers
                          aka
                          Suzie

Comment

Newspaper Seed Starter Pots

Have just printed this off at work. My boss is now convinced I'm mad and has said I need a man!! He just doesn't understand the economics and fun of making/growing your own. Will see how many I can make tonight

Comment

I brought a paper potter a couple of years ago and have not looked back start everything I can in them and because I can then just put them straight in the ground no thinning out or transplanting.

Only problem I have, is a pain in the head when making them, found out it was the better half hitting me over the head for leaving black finger marks everywhere Doh!
                              HAPPY 'Growing My Own'
                              Dale

Comment

I've made quite a few origami pots now, they seem to be working fine for my onion seeds I sowed last week, although that was only 8 days ago ! Will see how they progress! Got loo rolls too for other plants!
                                http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X