Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great idea - thanks for that. Have used the plastic bottles for other things but never thought about using them to help protect young plants .

Reet
    x

Comment

Originally posted by reetnproper View Post
      Very intrigued by this idea but, being not so bright at the moment, am wondering how?

Reet
      x
      cut bottom off plastic bottle place over small plant
      OR cut bottom off watercooler bottle place over larger plant.
      seriously though,my wheelbarrow came from a skip and has been remodelled with a club hammer so the wheel rotates again,the raised beds are made from old scaffolding boards &the shed came from a friend who was going to burn it as there was no roof,new roof made out of pallets and a roll of felt I scrounged.
      dalek compost bins came from the council tip where someone was about to throw them into landfill(had to argue with the local gestapo officer before i could take them though)
      big compost heaps for the chicken manure and occasional horse are 1 cubic yard builders bags
      chicken coop built out of old flooring from scout hut and roofed with metal sheets recovered after one end of same hut hit by falling tree.
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Replacement pots and trays picked up (and donated again) at local garden centre recycling point; compost bags used as potato bags then as heavy duty garden recycling for stuff I can't compost; pallets from plumbers yard next door as compost bins and raised bed edging; plant labels cut from milk containers; shelves in shed from wooden supermarket plant stand; bench in greenhouse from old canvas wardrobe frame; Can't think what else at present but I know there's more
        Last edited by Suky; 17-02-2010, 07:12 PM.

Comment

reet - there's already a reduce reuse and recycle thread so I've merged yours with it.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            reet - there's already a reduce reuse and recycle thread so I've merged yours with it.
            Aww, I was gonna do that - but couldn't find the original thread.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
              Aww, I was gonna do that - but couldn't find the original thread.
              In Top Tips; it's stickied!!!

[And check out the first post on here; recognise it!!!???]
              Last edited by zazen999; 17-02-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Thank you zazen999 and many apologies.

I don't often venture out of 'vegging-out' but common sense should have told me that there was bound to be this kind of thread somewhere on the forum - cold fuddled thought processes is my excuse .

Reet
                x

Comment

I've found recently that the large trays for ferrero rocher make pretty good chitting trays.

Also a good excuse to go out and buy a couple of trays!

Comment

Originally posted by nerdgas View Post
                    I've found recently that the large trays for ferrero rocher make pretty good chitting trays.

Also a good excuse to go out and buy a couple of trays!

Now I like that
                    Cheers

Danny

Comment

• Originally posted by reetnproper View Post
                      Thank you zazen999 and many apologies.

I don't often venture out of 'vegging-out' but common sense should have told me that there was bound to be this kind of thread somewhere on the forum - cold fuddled thought processes is my excuse .

Reet
                      x
                      No problem; it's a good read so enjoy.

Comment

• Amazing! there's a box of them in work, opposite me now. I'm going to go empty them () and nick the tray!

Comment

• Football Training Disks

Hi Folks,

I have a number of these disks, photo attached, and wondered if I could grow veg through them, would there be any benefit?
                          Cheers

Danny

Comment

• No idea Danny - don't even know what those are.

I'm reviving this because today, I was talking to a colleague about growing salads in those veg boxes that salads are delivered in, and she said there were loads [at a certain place at work] that were just going to be chucked.

So I grabbed 4 and will grab more next week. YIP YIP YIPPEE!!!!!!

I am going to line them with old compost bags [which I have loads of], fill with compost and grow salads and pea shoots in them.

Marvelous.

Comment

• Venetian blinds

Instead of chucking old blinds out they can be used as ID tags for rows of seeds or pots.You can also write more on them than the shop bought ones,if you like more petite ones they can be halved down the middle.

If you don't have any go and visit someone who has and discreetly cut out a strip when they go and put the kettle on.

Comment

• I have found the perfect thing to keep my seeds in - up to now they have been in a small plastic tool/hobby box which had two dividers giving three sections for filing the seed packets.

At the car boot this morning, I spotted an old Mothercare baby box (not for keeping babies in). It is bigger and deeper than my old box and has the addition of a cantilever divided tray which I can keep labels, pens, mini-dibber etc in. I have put several supemarket thin plastic punnets in the bottom so I can stand up my seed packets and now I am ready to go. £1.50 - bargain!

Now, what can I use the smaller box for?
                                Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                                Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X