Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grannymem - could it be useful as a scoop? Maybe inside a bag of compost, or grit, or even the compost bin?
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

If you are going away for a while and don't want your beds parched by the time you return bury some soaked oasis blocks in the soil. Not only do they keep the soil moist but if it should rain they act as reservoirs.

Comment

Old wooden bookcase with back removed as raised bed. if shelves are fixed they make mini dividers for the bed.
        'Shaker' type pepperpot for sowing tiny seeds.
        Plastic bags magazines come in as cloches for cuttings (supported by cane).
        Free standing coat stand as hanger for spade or any tools you can loop over the 'arms' (I'm also thinking of planting the feet into the ground and using arms for hanging baskets).
        Old pillow covered in a plastic bin liner for kneeling on when planting/hand weeding.

Comment

Forgive me if this idea has already been mentioned, but I bought a perspex-lidded shallow gold box of 14 christmas cards from a local newsagents the other day, and upon opening it this evening, I had a 'Wellie-Workshop Ping!' of an idea: Re-use the box to display and give Homemade Chocolates or Truffles in a couple of weeks' time!
          My first attempt at homemade Pralines last Christmas were surprisingly professional-looking in their little paper cases and hugely expensive boxes (!) so this year, I shall be delighted to road-test my own tip here!!

Comment

Originally posted by grannymem View Post
            Just before I throw it out, can anyone think of a good use for a small stainless steel saucepan with no handle?
            Before you ask, I can't mend the handle - it's disintegrated (the pan was given to us 36 years ago as a wedding present and apart from no handle looks nearly good as new.)
            Use it as a planter containing herbs in placcy pots or sprouting seeds or as a cake tin.
            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
              Use it as a planter containing herbs in placcy pots or sprouting seeds or as a cake tin.
              CAKE TIN!! Just the job. Thank you Eco-Chic
              Last edited by grannymem; 22-11-2009, 06:16 AM.
              Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Children's toys.

I have found those plastic wendy house things to be brilliant in the chook runs - redmite free and very good shelter in the winter (wind proof and rain proof) and good in Summer for shade.

We have an old seaside type rectangular trampoline which will be transformed into a growers pen when my little chap is done with it. I am going to wire around the sides of course. This will be ideal for rearing as the little ones will have lots of space and be protected from the sparrowhawks. It is moveable so fresh ground is always available.

I love this thread by the way - it's my aim next year to really knuckle down on re-using stuff.

Comment

If, and when we go away for more than a couple of weeks in the summer I use an kiddies inflatable splash pool. Fill it with water on the patio and put in my indoor plants
                  Last edited by Brengirl; 22-11-2009, 11:48 AM.

Comment

The most usefull items I have recycled are these empty 2kg olive flagons from the local Health Food shop. They have screw on lids and handle. Used in the kitchen/garage and GH for anything and everything.

Attached Files

Comment

Any ideas for old pot scourers? The ones made of sponge with an abrasive green top that becomes manky quite quickly.
                      Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Split the green bit off and use to cover drainage holes in the bottom of a pot?
                        Last edited by Jeanied; 22-11-2009, 01:34 PM. Reason: posted too fast!
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by grannymem View Post
                          Any ideas for old pot scourers? The ones made of sponge with an abrasive green top that becomes manky quite quickly.
                          I migrate them from the kitchen to the garden for cleaning pots and plant markers.
                          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Just looked at the stand for the milk container tops and realised we have an old freestanding towel rail that will be perfect for this with a cane across to stop them from swinging.
                            Just ordered hubby to start saving the milk containers!!!
                            You just can't beat a bargain!!!
                            Time flies especially when you are at the allotment!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                              If you are going away for a while and don't want your beds parched by the time you return bury some soaked oasis blocks in the soil. Not only do they keep the soil moist but if it should rain they act as reservoirs.
                              Thanks for the idea Brengirl........I have managed to hold water for one week so far in the milk containers by filling them with old filling from a duvet we were throwing out. Need to reduce the drip holes now & try to get 2 weeks out of them.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Try using the 6 pint milk bottles or the 3l coke bottles there BM...bigger capacity....
                                Last edited by RedThorn; 17-12-2009, 02:48 PM.
                                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X