Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twinkle, that is awesome! What a brilliant idea. I'm going to force feed milk to the children from now on so I can do the same with our cartons!

The best i do with them is fill them with water and use them as 'stones' to hold fleece, net or watever in place. Then when I'm finished with them, i just pop down to the recycling centre. (the cartons that is, NOT the children!)

I also keep a few in the greehouse filled with water so that i can water tender seedlings with warmish water rather than freezing stuff out the hosepipe. Good for when there are hose pipe bans on i suppose too (not that we ever suffer from that is Scotland!).
    Last edited by Scottishnewbie; 01-04-2009, 09:49 PM.

Comment

You can use the plastic bread bags to collect stuff for the compost heap in the kitchen, nothing seeps out the bottom, then when you chuck it on the heap, re-use the bag for cat poo and stick it in the dog poo collection bins.

Comment

Bringing this back to the top and hoping for some more great tips. My tip is to raid your family or friends recycle bins for any containers/bottles/loo roll middles etc for items that you may not use at home but may have stuff that can be used in the garden. As its Easter. you might be visiting/seeing friends, I am hoping to pick up lots of plastic bottles as I use few of these at home.
        Not sure if easter egg packaging can be used for anything?

BB
        BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
        Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Re-using old newspapers

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I get a newspaper every day, so I generate a lot of waste.

- shredded, it is used for guinea pig bedding

- shredded newspaper goes in my bean trenches to retain moisture at the roots
          Does anyone make their own newspaper bricks for fires these days?

There used to be a machine to compress the pulp into brickettes to burn?

Is this a viable option please? We also have a lot of newspaper waste to dispose of.

Many thanks

Comment

My grandson brings all his lolly sticks to me for my labels!!

Comment

Ive been getting the `hot choc. fudge cake` from sainsburys, its got a black plastic tray about 9 inch round , with a clear dome snap on lid, works great as a seed tray with mini greenhouse, its about £2.50 or £3 on special offer half price! (wouldnt pay 6.00 for it!), but the seed tray with clear lid comes with a free choc. cake, and someones got to eat it!
              Last edited by starloc; 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM.
              Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Made this lobster creel out of waste material, just needs roping and finishing touches
                Attached Files
                ---) CARL (----
                ILFRACOMBE
                NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Originally posted by carlseawolf View Post
                  Made this lobster creel out of waste material, just needs roping and finishing touches
                  Errrr.....does wood and plastic not FLOAT Carl!? Lol
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Prehaps the finishing touches also includes a few bricks...he he he
                    BW
                    James

I like to try, might not get far, but I like to try.

Comment

yes they do , but as james said the brick are in the finishing touches.
                      ---) CARL (----
                      ILFRACOMBE
                      NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

[QUOTE=Johnny Appleseed;425309]Does anyone make their own newspaper bricks for fires these days?

I use a brickette maker over the Summer to make paper bricks for my son's wood burner stove. He says they take a while to get going but burn slowly & are ok. He also saws them into firelighter size pieces, soaks them and uses them as firelighters.

Comment

As last summer was so wet, to protect my cucumber plants from the damp, I used the clear plastic cover you get from the Dry Cleaners together with a metal hanger, as a cloche.

I put a screw high up on the fence panel, where the pots were standing, and draped the cover over the plants securing it at the top of the pot by pulling up the excess plastic cover and tying an elastic band around it. It worked really well as each pot also had a cane supporting the plant. It stopped the slugs from devouring them as well.

I also cut the top and bottom off large bottles of coke and plant them over my sweetcorn seedlings to protect from slugs and also give them a warm collar to grow through. Once the plants have fruited, I simply pull up the plant and slip the plastic sleeve off the bottom. I love to reuse things that would normally just get thrown away.

Comment

Another use for 1 or 2pt milk bottles.......... keep your string neat, clean and dry.

Cut around the middle of the bottle a couple of inches from the bottom and pierce a hole (for the string to come out) near the lid. Put your string in the base and push the two halves of the bottle back together (you can overlap them a bit) and tape securely. Make sure you have threaded the end of the string through the hole at the top first.

If you want to be trendy, you could wear this on your belt (belt through handle) for jobs needing lots of string!
                            Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                            Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

i've built a fence from old builders pallets to keep the dogs off my veggie patch
                              cost one bag of nails, couple of hinges, gate catch, 3 bags of ready mixed post hole cement, total about £15
                              Attached Files
                              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post
                                Does anyone make their own newspaper bricks for fires these days?

Is this a viable option please? We also have a lot of newspaper waste to dispose of.

Many thanks
                                you can get the brickmaker thing from one of those catalogues that gets left on your doorstep - kleeneze or the other one, can't think what the other one is called - but one of them has it
                                not seen it anywhere else, but could be worth trying robert dyas or other chain that sells odd things like that
                                never used it myself, but wanted one - i seem to remember hearing that the paper bricks need several months to dry out, but have a long burn time
                                i'm lucky - we have the local woods nearby so we'll be stocking up on real wood this summer
                                going to build a log store out of old pallets .....
                                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X