This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers folks.

I'll use some to insulate seed trays next spring and the kneeling pad idea is a great suggestion - I'll definitely be doing that (not that I'm getting older or anything).
    .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

• If you buy meat from supermarkets, and you chop and change between, you can end up with good-sized black plastic tubs and matching clear tops - instant propogator

Comment

• Thought I would bump this thread for others now that many recycling centres are shut

Comment

• Repurposed walking boot lace became a drawstring for a pair of trousers.
          Work decided to give us (compulsory) uniforms this week, but the flimsy elastic waistband failed to hold my trousers up when I tried them on....
          2 buttonholes on the sewing machine and a bootlace= problem solved!

Comment

• When your jeans give up the ghost and you cut them up for rags cut the seams out first, they make great plant ties and are bio-degradable to boot. the tarparlin bags that buiding supplys come in can be unpicked and used to line your pallet compost heap, cover the water tank to prevent drowning birdies, cover the soil to kill off weeds, wrap around pots to keep the roots warm , the only limit is what you can think of to do with them.

Comment

• ^I use worn-out t-shirts for plant ties. Nice and soft and stretchy and you can tear/cut them to a suitable width for the type of shoot. Big wide ones for main stems, thinner ones for supporting bunches of toms, for example.

Hello and welcome to the Vine, CClare.

Comment

• A lot of company's are now using lambs wool packaging for their produce. this makes great insulation for sensitive plants for the winter... Just smells a bit lamby...
                "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
                - Henry Beard

Comment

• Originally posted by Peteyd View Post
                  A lot of company's are now using lambs wool packaging for their produce. this makes great insulation for sensitive plants for the winter... Just smells a bit lamby...
                  since COVID I've got my prescriptions sent via post from Lloyds and the Insulin comes wrapped in Wool with 2 Frozen Gel packs ... I thought of hanging basket liners
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    ^I use worn-out t-shirts for plant ties. Nice and soft and stretchy and you can tear/cut them to a suitable width for the type of shoot. Big wide ones for main stems, thinner ones for supporting bunches of toms, for example.

Hello and welcome to the Vine, CClare.
                    old stocking and tights are good too ... not that I wear as many these days
                    ntg

Comment

• ^^^

I read recently that Marigold type rubber gloves are useful as you can make small bands by cutting across the fingers, and larger ones cutting across the palm and forearm.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

since COVID I've got my prescriptions sent via post from Lloyds and the Insulin comes wrapped in Wool with 2 Frozen Gel packs ... I thought of hanging basket liners
                        Nick, not sure what the frzoen packs are like but hang on to a couple - you may be able to fashion yourself some kind of Frio pack to keep your insulin 'refridgerated' whenever we get to travel abroad again
                        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

• good idea Shortie.

They’re a heavy duty polythene (would make brilliant polytunnel cover 🤣) with a gel in ... bit like wall paper paste.I’ll save the next 2. Lasts a good 48hours.

ntg

Comment

• A push over composter for free

I hade a recent delivery of plasterboards and was asked if if

I wished to keep the pallet,, some-thing for nothing always answer yes
                            To be continued​
                            Last edited by stevejelf; 27-02-2021, 11:24 PM.
                            Bearn, Pyrenees Atlantique France

Comment

• Later out came the tools

To be continued​
                              Last edited by stevejelf; 27-02-2021, 11:28 PM.
                              Bearn, Pyrenees Atlantique France

Comment

• Steel ammo boxes for rat proof chicken food storage.
                                Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X