Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The French sell cakes, croissants etc in plastic trays like this...

They are perfect little propagators!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I use mushroom trays for small amounts of things beans for instance,collecting produce like berries,in fact any container,i find suitable for,since i got a entry card for a wholesalers,i have been buying some larger cake,they come with a dome top that clics into the base,what with son getting the odd things and me,i now have at least 6,they are only 4in high,but enough to get things started off,plus they stack on top of each other,they 12in wide,more in less space,thats where the bigger seeds will get chitted in,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Windowsill space is at a premium in my house between germination and hardening off, so square pots are a must. Hard to find square trays for them though. Sausage trays are perfect for two pots, and just the right size to put perpendicular to the window to fit even more on the sill.

Attached Files

Comment

• I have enjoyed reading this thread! Lots of great ideas!

I'm currently using old egg boxes for my potatoes - I've taken the lids off and I'm just using the base - any suggestions for using the lids?

Comment

• Depends on what they're made of!
            Cardboard = mini seed trays that you could plant out without root disturbance.
            Plastic = drip trays?

Comment

• We have to buy in bottled water for cooking and drinking, so i have been collecting the 8 litre ones, i will cut off the bottoms and put over the top of delicate plants at night
              I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
                We have to buy in bottled water for cooking and drinking, so i have been collecting the 8 litre ones, i will cut off the bottoms and put over the top of delicate plants at night
                Cut them in half Lisa, put water in the bottom half, put some rag part through the cap end and place into the bottom half so the rag is in the water to act as capillary feed, fill the top up with compost & use as a self watering pot.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Depends on what they're made of!
                  Cardboard = mini seed trays that you could plant out without root disturbance.
                  Plastic = drip trays?
                  Cardboard VC - I hadn't thought about actually planting them out in the lid - good plan!

Comment

• OK as I am always skint I thought I would share with the whole world my D.I.Y plant labels.

Bits needed are-
                    old canes
                    permanent marker
                    tape
                    old milk bottles

Der Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Attached Files
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Love it - they look like totem poles!

Comment

• Coke bottles are ideal for making into a closh just remove lid and saw off the base, you will be able to see a actuall ring/crease around the bottom, thats where to saw. They are stronger than cheap pop bottles.

Old book cases, bed side drawers, chester drawers could be used to make bug hotels

Coffee grounds for acidic plants, just mix into soil.

We drink bottled water so use the massive bottles we get the water in for rain water. Because I have a bent bit of guttering that comes off the neighbours out house we get loads so I re fill and leave a few in the greenhouse to heat up for the seedlings.

Polystyrene is the bane of my life but now I use it in the bottom of large pots to save on compost, it can also be used whenbuilding high raised beds it will help them heat up quicker as well as saving on compost/ soil.

I also use the lumpy bits of compost you get after sifting for my potatoes that are in pots, along with all the bits I sweep up.

Space saveing is that one? Well i use the parcel shelf in the car to start off seeds when i have no room.
                        Last edited by 4390evans; 22-03-2016, 07:57 AM. Reason: Update
                        If you want to view paradise
                        Simply look around and view it.

Comment

• I thought this was an appropriate location for my modified Self Watering Pop Bottle Propagator

sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

• ^^^^ fantastic!
                            Brill idea
                            Well done.
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Some good ideas here.
                              I use loo rolls for sweet peas , mushroom trays for radish/salad, grapes/tomato plastic tubs for sowing seeds, polystyrene in pots for drainage..although we gets loads so the idea of in a high raised bed I like, card we have loads of which goes to recycling for animal bedding and pallets I need to make more use of, currently screening off 'messy zone' by greenhouse and raising staging, compost off the ground there too.
                              Northern England.

Comment

• Pop bottle windmill/spinner

Sorry Cad hope you don't mind, but had to share this one as both my girls love them.
                                Alans Allotment: Tuesday 25th June 2013

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 03-05-2016, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X