Cutworm tip

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutworm tip

I have lost a few of my winter brassicas soon after planting. They are being sheared of at ground level by a cutworm

My tip is, if you dig down directly below the sheared plant abour 6" you will find the little critter curled up asleep waiting for evening to come so he can wreek havoc with the rest of the row.

Grey/green and the size of a large caterpillar he is easy to despatch with the heel of the boot on a hard surface where his guts will explode with the contents of your cabbage patch ( Bit gory but has to be done!)

100% tip this...three plants cut off in there prime and likewise with three cutworms
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Still 100% Two more plants down...two more dead cutworms...place is infested with them! Good job I have replacement plants. Wonder what they are the pupae stage of? Whatever, there's going to be a few less flying around next year!!!!!!
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      ........... Wonder what they are the pupae stage of? Whatever, there's going to be a few less flying around next year!!!!!!
      http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/hr...snip/cutworms/

Tells all you need to know I think
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Once more to the rescue Nick....I notice on the map they are more prevalent in the South of the country apart from a big blob of them round my allotment!

Thanks & TTFN

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X