No announcement yet.

Re-using jam jars - removing sticky labels

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While surplus glue is still tacky try using a pan scourer.
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

first tear of what you can of the label,soak in hot water just until glue is soft,the glue can then be removed very easy with a few rubs with a knife,finish of with a brillo,or the rough side of a wash sponge
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I use lighter fuel the same as you use in the zippo lighters always have some handy as im a smoker and im constantly refilling my lighter.
        Inside every older man is a younger man thinking what the heck happened

Comment

Originally posted by pipscariad View Post
          that boiling vinegar does the job really well, without noxious chemicals and vile fumes
          Sorry to be padantic but vinegar is a noxious chemical......Its a acid.

I have an eacy way to clean jars....it called Mrs NOG....ROTFL
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by lynda 66 View Post
            i was wondering how to get that off, i tried the dishwasher, but i just had clean glue ... thanks xx
            My dishwasher broke down the other day... so i kicked it several times... he grumbled a bit, but got on with the washing up!

I just leave them over night in water & washing up liquid, works everytime.

Comment

So can you remove nail varnish by boiling your finger-tips in vinegar?

I'm not asking for me, I'm asking for a...er...friend of mine!
              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
              Snadger - Director of Poetry
              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

whist on the subject - labels all removed and jars clean......

How does anyone go about removing the stains from the insides of the lids??
                I am always left with a stained lid - and although I know its clean, its really not nice to open a jar of eg lemon curd and see a curry / bolognaise stained lid.

Any tips out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Westforester View Post
                  whist on the subject - labels all removed and jars clean......

How does anyone go about removing the stains from the insides of the lids??
                  I am always left with a stained lid - and although I know its clean, its really not nice to open a jar of eg lemon curd and see a curry / bolognaise stained lid.

Any tips out there?
                  no tips for getting rid of stains I suppose you could try a bicarb paste.

I try to keep jam jars - for jam, sauce jars - for sauce or pickles, I am investing in new jars this year.
                  Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                  and ends with backache

Comment

I use WD40 it works atreat 1st time every time
                    Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

Comment

I put them in with the washing up and use a pan scrubber.
                      Urban Escape Blog

Comment

It does depend on the type of glue used. Not a jam jar but similar thing, but I had a cheapo tool with a very sticky label on it, no matter how much scrubbing, nail varnish remover etc, nothing would touch it. I then rubbed it with some oil and the sticky stuff came straight off - my hands felt nice afterwards too...........

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by johninblackpool View Post
                          I use WD40 it works atreat 1st time every time
                          So pleased to find another devotee. Whatever the problem, first of all try WD40. How did I ever manage without it?

Comment

Removing the Label off reusable jars

Before reusing the jars I use this method to remove the label from the jars (Plastic or glass). I first clean the inside of the jar and then let the water faucet on with hot water until it's burning hot. I then fill the jar with the water, put the lid on, and let it sit for 2 minutes. Then, without removing the water, I start peeling the label under the hot running water (hot enough where it won't bun your hands). It just slides right off!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anav View Post
                              Before reusing the jars I use this method to remove the label from the jars (Plastic or glass). I first clean the inside of the jar and then let the water faucet on with hot water until it's burning hot. I then fill the jar with the water, put the lid on, and let it sit for 2 minutes. Then, without removing the water, I start peeling the label under the hot running water (hot enough where it won't bun your hands). It just slides right off!!
                              Wow that is very very smart. Lateral thinking I believe they call it.

Comment

I am a huge fan of sticky stuff remover. I have found nothing that comes close to it. One bottle lasts for absolutely ages and never seems to go off and it has a lovely smell too. Def worth the investment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X