No announcement yet.

Grow Your Own Needs Your Tips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another tip when growing seeds with hard casings (especially okra I have found) is put the seeds in a cup of water for a couple of days until you see a little shoot, then plant in what ever pot you are using.

I tried last year without doing this and the okra seedling all died as the seed caps wouldnt come off, this year I soaked them for a couple of days and the seedlings emerged from the compost without the seedcaps.

Cheers Chris

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Blueberries. The foliage goes a sensational fiery red in autumn, the stems are very decorative in winter and in spring you find the whole thing has been worth growing simply for the scent of the flowers alone.....Oh and in summer they produce berries which are good for you, but cost a fortune in the shops.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Crikey my OH bit my head off when he bought this mag for me, 7.99! I had all the seeds anyway and I didnt find anything in the mag that I couldnt find in GROW YOUR OWN, sorry but that will be the first and last time. I really dont see the need for it.
        Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Originally posted by allotmentlady View Post
          Crikey my OH bit my head off when he bought this mag for me, 7.99! I had all the seeds anyway and I didnt find anything in the mag that I couldnt find in GROW YOUR OWN, sorry but that will be the first and last time. I really dont see the need for it.
          Same here as well, no point buying both when you get the same info in both and already have the same pretty common veg seeds as most of us do.
          It would be nice if they gave some uncommen veg instead of the usual stuff,

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

For me my favourite, tastiest and most easiest veg has to be Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli.
            It has always had 100% germination. I start it in pots in an unheated greenhouse between Late March and May. When it's big enough not to be hassled by mice, I lift off some turf in a neglected but sunny part of the garden and pop straight in, no feeding no digging and that's it....it looks after itself (apart from watering in dry weather.)
            I put supports around the whole area (a roll of green garden fencing or chicken wire) as they are large heavy plants and I cover them with netting in winter to stop the Pigeons.

Then from about March I get wonderful sweet PS Broccoli.....absolutely the best thing steamed, (you don't need a steamer!..... just a saucepan with an inch of water then sit the Broccoli across at an angle, so heads are out of the water, pop the lid on and in about 4mins delicious soft spears!) served simply with butter!!! and all for the cost of a packet of seeds which last years!!!!

For fruit it has to be Raspberries, again very expensive in the shops but so abundant when home grown.....oh and the taste is so much better!!!
            Last edited by peanut; 14-04-2008, 09:10 AM.
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

If you are short on space try a tumbling tomato in a hanging basket. Just get a big basket, some water retaining gel crystals, bit of compost, plant and enjoy superb tasting toms straight from the plant.
              My Blog is here.../

Comment

I think my favourites are peas. I'm trying a variety this year that is supposed to be good for mangetout when early, fresh sweet garden peas when more mature, and for drying for soup peas when mature. It really has it all! Added to that, it's a heritage variety, with decorative yellow leaves and purple pods. With peas, you can eat the tendrils in salads and if you have any spare seed at the end of the season you can sprout it to grow pea tops, very very trendy at the moment. What versatility!!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

For me, it's probably spuds. I think I'll remember that feeling, getting your hands right in the earth and discovering those lovely looking nuggets. They do a good job of clearing the ground for you, and don't really take much looking after. Just earth them up, water regularly and make sure they don't get frosted and they'll reward you with some lovely tasting veg.
                  A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Peas would be my favourite, there is absolutely nothing like the taste of fresh peas from the pod. Even this far north with a little bit of shelter most hardy versions grow well. It is possible to get a full season of cropping with first earlys, second earlies, main crop and late main crop. They grow well with just a little bit of support and I have even grown them in tubs and pots. My favourite's are the double podded variety particularly Starlight. The pods "present" themselves for picking and they have a reasonable resistance to mildew.

For spectacular colour and easy growing - rainbow chard! Looks lovely right through the winter as well and certainly provides a bit of colour on the allotment or in the polytunnel and the leaves and stalks are great in soup.
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                      I think my favourites are peas. I'm trying a variety this year that is supposed to be good for mangetout when early, fresh sweet garden peas when more mature, and for drying for soup peas when mature. It really has it all! Added to that, it's a heritage variety, with decorative yellow leaves and purple pods. With peas, you can eat the tendrils in salads and if you have any spare seed at the end of the season you can sprout it to grow pea tops, very very trendy at the moment. What versatility!!
                      Come on then Birdie Wife - give us a name!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I thought I'd just leave you hanging on a bit longer

Okay then, you can find it here!, it's called EZETA'S KROMBEK BLAUWSCHOKKER. Try saying that three times quickly...
                        Last edited by Birdie Wife; 14-04-2008, 02:19 PM.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post
                          Same here as well, no point buying both when you get the same info in both and already have the same pretty common veg seeds as most of us do.
                          It would be nice if they gave some uncommen veg instead of the usual stuff,

I think it is Grow Your Own they are looking for tips for. BUT I agree with you both in fact I was even more dumb I bought issue 2 and 3 of Let's Grow and I have to say I'm sure they were very nearly identical in their contents. I'm sure they both had a feature about carrots for instance which were almost word for word in both issues.

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
                            I think it is Grow Your Own they are looking for tips for. BUT I agree with you both in fact I was even more dumb I bought issue 2 and 3 of Let's Grow and I have to say I'm sure they were very nearly identical in their contents. I'm sure they both had a feature about carrots for instance which were almost word for word in both issues.
                            I know u get the free seeds and alll but at this time of year most people have them or you can pick them up fairly cheaply.

I dont understand the point of having two magazines! Can someone explain?
                            Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I dont understand the point of having two magazines! Can someone explain?
                              Clearly its because they both sell.

Comment

My favourite things to grow are 'Moneymaker' tomatoes. They are easy to grow outside in pots or grow bags & (apart from last year!) usually stand up to the odd bit of bad weather & produce tasty fruits. I also grow tumbling varieties along with parsley in baskets on the fence by the back door, easy to pop your hand outside & grab a handful whatever the weather!
                                My other favourites are early potatoes in pots, old compost bags & tubs & courgettes (especially 'Orelia' & 'Defender') which are colourful, easy to grow & have a miriad of uses.
                                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X