Soggy Bottom upside down pot idea

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soggy Bottom upside down pot idea

Wouldn't it be handy if rather than lift plants out of pots, we could lift the pot off our plants...

Maybe we can...

Two parts to this; 9" bottomless upside down pot, thick cardboard base (+ x2 bamboo sticks)

Click image for larger version

Name:	soggy_bottom_001c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	2408294

Bamboo clips hold cardboard in place

Name:	soggy_bottom_003c.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	2408295

This is top down, looking from above into the pot view

Name:	soggy_bottom_004c.jpg
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	2408296

This is just a proof of concept.

Imagine if the cardboard was wax coated with a fertilizer wash...

The main point of the odd idea is that I want to be able to pot my potato's up so that I can keep them under cover in a close group. Once the frosts have passed then plonk them in their final positions and after a week the bases have gone fully soggy and I can easily pull the pots of my plants and earth them up.

Also the soil forms a dome shape (soil loosening) rather than a cone (soil compacting), maybe...
    Last edited by no_akira; 01-04-2020, 11:41 AM.

I use toilet roll inners a lot for sowing things as they are easy to plant out using a dibber. Problem is they are messy to fill so this is what I use, put into the top of the tube, have a container with about the same volume as the tube, I use a small pot, filled with fairly dry compost, throw it I the top give it a shake and it fills the tube without spilling all over the place.
    Attached Files

Comment

On this occasion I’m going to say.

Some solutions don’t need to find a problem that does not exist...

I usually like your creative thinking.

Comment

One of your marginally better ideas, but as the garden centres round here are phasing out buying pots made from plastic, you may not be able to get the "sleeves" as we all move away from plastic products.. I prefer terracotta products for many reasons, heat retention and the weight to stop things falling over are two of the top reasons.

Comment

Looks just like a ring culture pot (flower bucket with the bottom cut off).
          I use them all the time in the GH and around the garden if something needs extra soil depth.
          If you anticipate moving one, put it on a tray or a used compost bag and carry it. So simple - no need to overthink it.

Comment

Marginally better idea
            Burnie

Quote for the CV after "Professional Clown" and "Ex gynaecologist"...

Like your "sleeve" description. Thats what this idea needs a tapered sleeve pot with rigid curled collars on both ends. There isnt a pot like this on the market.

This is just the prototype to see if the plants respond to having soggy cardboard around there roots. It could be a dismal failure and may hinder growth.

But soggy rotting cardboard does attract worms, this might be bad or good? I might not be harvesting potatos this year...

Comment

It seems a lot of work & difficulty potting on,when you lift the container the contents will move,could you plant them in their final position & protect the leaves from frost if needed with a row cover? There was a good video years ago on youtube where the man lined the container with a bag,so he could carefully pull out the bag & reveal,take a couple of big potatoes & then put the bag back in the bucket to continue growing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                It seems a lot of work & difficulty potting on.
                I'd thought it would be easier potting on especially for potatos. Plonk pot in final growing position pull pins and lift pot over juvenile bushy growth. Earth up around mound.

Potatos are only in the pots for 4-5 weeks tops.

My plot is in a bit of a frost pocket and I've been caught out by late frosts a couple of times

Especially this year as my rotated potato beds are in the frostiest part of my plot.

Comment

Originally posted by no_akira View Post
                  Burnie

Quote for the CV after "Professional Clown" and "Ex gynaecologist"...

Like your "sleeve" description. Thats what this idea needs a tapered sleeve pot with rigid curled collars on both ends. There isnt a pot like this on the market.
                  Even the most prolific of inventors have far more failures than successes...…………...I know from trying myself.
                  Last edited by burnie; 02-04-2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Here are my Main potatos in there little house

Name:	soggy_pots_huddle.jpg
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	2386814

Will it protect them from "Jack frost ", well have to wait and see...

Comment

Originally posted by no_akira View Post
                      Here are my Main potatos in there little house
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]90866[/ATTACH]

Will it protect them from "Jack frost ", well have to wait and see...
                      Loving your heras fencing cover
                      sigpic

Comment

I have acquired a dozen or more slices of 4 inch plastic drain pipe.
                        This thread has given me the idea.
                        I will put them on a bit of old laminate floor with a line of mastic along all but one of the edges and slide the plants off the end without a ridge into there growing positions before lifting the collars off.
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X