No announcement yet.

pure clay, is it useless?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brassicas are supposed to like it firm - the saying is if you don't need a crow bar it isn't firm enough.
    Never had a problem with my kale not being stamped in though. Plants need air to the roots as well so don't worry about stomping out the air pockets, the weather will take care of it just so long as we're not talking cavernous spaces here.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

If all else fails dig it out, have a pond and make some pots for plants with the clay.

Comment

Don't stamp it all down. The soil food web (microscopic life) needs air which is another reason to compost and add organic materiel. Puddle in new plants to settle soil around roots but trample as little as possible except for brassica.

Comment

Perfect, thanks very much for the replies everyone

Comment

I've got clay too, clay stores many many nutrients but just needs to be broken down so you can work it.
            Over the past few years I have been adding my own compost, shop bought compost (buy the bags that is ripped you get a hefty discount!) and a few bags of alpine grit. I also add perlite to potted on veg until they are ready to go out and when the veg is done it remains in the ground so that will add a bit more drainage.
            If you want to view paradise
            Simply look around and view it.

Comment

You could also try growing one of the green manures.Which can then be dug into the soil to improve

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...r-green-manure
              Field beans, lupins and grazing ryes do the digging for you. Their extensive, deep roots will help break up soil. If you have a pan of clay, don't break your back trying to dig it apart – just sow some beans.
              “It was the bumble bee and the butterfly who survived, not the dinosaur” — Meridel Le Sueursigpic

"We are stardust, we are golden, and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."
              - Joni Mitchell

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...owerpower.html

Comment

How's it going, SMW? Have you had any growing successes?

Comment

Originally posted by BeeHappyFlutterBy View Post
                  IMO The Graudian article is giving a false impression, implying that grazing ryes will do the digging for you. You still have to dig it in!
                  Plus IMO it's very difficult to dig it in and do it well enough to prevent regrowth.

Comment

Clay soil is very fertile, but it holds on to it, you need to release it.
                    Manure, compost, cardboard, or anything remotely organic, just get it in or lay it on top and let the bacteria and worms do their job.
                    Feed the soil, not the plants.
                    (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      How's it going, SMW? Have you had any growing successes?
                      Thanks for asking, sorry I'm only seeing this now. Well I put early and main crop potatoes in it in mid April and have had early potatoes for a few weeks now. The maincrop has also died away so I will be digging those soon. The section of the bed which is a little more workable has a few raspberry canes I planted quite late but my first few raspberries are ripening up nicely.

I have also had lots of fun in my first year growing with hanging baskets and pots. cherry tomatoes, strawberries, carrots etc
                      Last edited by SMW; 07-09-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Great news on your recent garden successes SMW, looks like you've joined the happy band of us Gardening addicts enjoy the rest of 2017 and the Winter time gardening plans and seed choosing that are inevitable -well essential for getting us through the early dark nights
                        “It was the bumble bee and the butterfly who survived, not the dinosaur” — Meridel Le Sueursigpic

"We are stardust, we are golden, and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."
                        - Joni Mitchell

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...owerpower.html

Comment

Thanks BeeHappyFlutterBy's

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                            Monty Don in Gardener's World has a heavy clay based soil, look how much stuff he grows!
                            Monty's heavy clay looks like ideal loam to me.
                            Last edited by MarkPelican; 07-09-2017, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X