when to dig and manure?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when to dig and manure?

I've dug up my shallots and onions and now have a free bed. I was thinking that I'll try to really dig this one over and then spread some chicken pellet manure over it, cover and leave for the winter. I heard that you need to leave this for a long time to allow it to work itself into the soil. Can I wait till the summer is over before doing this? I mean, it's not as though the weeds aren't keeping me busy enough.

Originally posted by queen of the cobs View Post
    I've dug up my shallots and onions and now have a free bed. I was thinking that I'll try to really dig this one over and then spread some chicken pellet manure over it, cover and leave for the winter. I heard that you need to leave this for a long time to allow it to work itself into the soil. Can I wait till the summer is over before doing this? I mean, it's not as though the weeds aren't keeping me busy enough.
    Dig it over by all means but what is the point of chucking Chicken pellets over the top you might as well sprinkle it along the bottom of the trench i usually put it on about 3 weeks before planting or even the day of planting as long as it is in the ground and not drying out on the top hope this helps jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
      Dig it over by all means but what is the point of chucking Chicken pellets over the top you might as well sprinkle it along the bottom of the trench i usually put it on about 3 weeks before planting or even the day of planting as long as it is in the ground and not drying out on the top hope this helps jacob
      I agree with jacob.....chicken manure pellets are a high nitrogen fertiliser which is easily leached from the soil with the winter rains. Come planting time in the spring there will be no nutrients left!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you put it on the top it softens and breaks up when you water (or it rains). Leave it until the time of planting in my experience.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

thanks for the advice - perhaps I should grow a green manure over the end of summer, autumn? I presume I leave it over winter and then pull it up in the spring? And do I then dig the ground over again?

thanks for advice - my first winter on the plot and it seems a shame to do nothing.

Comment

I'm going to sow a green manure - winter rye - where I've dug up my potatoes, then dig it in (rather than pull it up) in Spring.

Not done it before - can anyone tell me how long it takes to break down once dug in before I can plant out?

Comment

You don't pull up green manure Queen of the cobs, you dig it in. I believe you then leave the ground for a couple of weeks and can then sow or plant. Haven't used it myself - only a small garden veg plot but I know there are some dedicated green manurers here who would give you some ideas what to use.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                .... but I know there are some dedicated green manurers here who would give you some ideas what to use.
                I hope they get a move on, I wanted to order a bag today there is a bewildering choice of sorts to grow - so advice on which one, and where is best value to order from........?

Cheers, grapes!

Comment

Out of interest- don't you tend to get weeds growing through the green manure too?
                  If so I presume you have to pull those out before digging in?
                  I tried mustard over a small area this spring but was shocked to see so many weeds coming through too. Didn't I sow thickly enough then??
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    Out of interest- don't you tend to get weeds growing through the green manure too?
                    If so I presume you have to pull those out before digging in?
                    I tried mustard over a small area this spring but was shocked to see so many weeds coming through too. Didn't I sow thickly enough then??
                    Weeeds are free green manure is not so dig them all in Rye is ok or winter tares not done much with either but do know if crop is thick when you dig sprinkle some high nitrogen fertilizer on it to help break it down or else it takes to much nutrient out of ground to break hope this helpsjacob
                    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I hate to see bare soil left for the winter. Allotment Secretaries would rather see bare soil as opposed to weeds I suppose!

I would only use green manure if I categorically, 100% definately, unreservedly, supercalifragelistically? couldn't find a crop to succeed the previous one!

To keep the land in good heart and cropping 52 weeks of the year is something I strive for!

Only if I've made a b*lls up and miscalculated would I sow a green manure rather than have............... bare soil........ Pah! Pah!

PS You could use your out of date seeds of any description as a green manure to utilise them!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Can anyone give me advice re: putting rotted pony poo on my patch......when should I do this, should I dig it in straight away, or leave it for a while?....sorry to hijack your thread!.......thanks chaps and chapesses in advance for your help! Bernie
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

If it is well rotted dig it in any time it will stop it drying out that is if it is not in a bag jacob
                          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Brilliant stuff dug into the bottom of next year's bean trench, or where your spuds are going to go.

Comment

Bung it on top and let the worms do the digging in for you over the winter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X