Blood, fish and bone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burnie View Post
    I use it as a pre planting feed and as a top dressing for anything in pots, but work into the soil or you get a mouldy "fur" growing on the surface.
    So the fur must be the Nitrogen (Blood). Must assume organic is being used in the chemistry sense there.

To be honest, I was trying to square the circle with difference between Bone Meal and Fish Bone Blood. 12% Active ingredient to 15% in FBB.
    Looking at standard 1.5kg packets @ £3.99
    Bone Meal NPK 3 9 0 12% Active ingredient
    Fish Bone Blood. NPK 3 9 3 15% Active ingredient

Sulphate of Ammonia NPK 21 0 0
    Sulphate of Potash NPK 0 0 48
    Superphosphate NPK 0 17.5 0

So mixed 3 last - 1 pkt each would give NPK 7 6 16 - 29% Active ingredients

at 1 box to 2.4m x 10m (10 boxes for my 10 x 20m area ish) - it then starts to make sense to mix / customising the fertilizer for specific treatments, with fast acting Sulphate of Ammonia for leaf growth through to potash for fruit development.

Technically speaking - Targeted treatment should give saving of 50%+ should easily be possible. But then I found a supplier for a big bag of FBB so needs more work

** Addition
    May have jumped the gun. The 3 individual components may not be organic. I was on the thread they were all packaged similar where listed, so was an easy leap.
    Last edited by 4Shoes; 01-01-2018, 05:54 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
      So the fur must be the Nitrogen (Blood). Must assume organic is being used in the chemistry sense there.

To be honest, I was trying to square the circle with difference between Bone Meal and Fish Bone Blood. 12% Active ingredient to 15% in FBB.
      Looking at standard 1.5kg packets @ £3.99
      Bone Meal NPK 3 9 0 12% Active ingredient
      Fish Bone Blood. NPK 3 9 3 15% Active ingredient

Sulphate of Ammonia NPK 21 0 0
      Sulphate of Potash NPK 0 0 48
      Superphosphate NPK 0 17.5 0

So mixed 3 last - 1 pkt each would give NPK 7 6 16 - 29% Active ingredients

at 1 box to 2.4m x 10m (10 boxes for my 10 x 20m area ish) - it then starts to make sense to mix / customising the fertilizer for specific treatments, with fast acting Sulphate of Ammonia for leaf growth through to potash for fruit development.

Technically speaking - Targeted treatment should give saving of 50%+ should easily be possible. But then I found a supplier for a big bag of FBB so needs more work

** Addition
      May have jumped the gun. The 3 individual components may not be organic. I was on the thread they were all packaged similar where listed, so was an easy leap.
      Aaaand breathe!
      Last edited by Snadger; 01-01-2018, 07:02 PM.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Breath ...

Ok... Ok.. was in the Zone

From a technical background, so looked at options, and tried increase

This veg "allotment" size patch lark - even if not in a traditional allotment environment - should cost me pennies.

Ok I jest. 1st year here. No experience, No compost (slime), No comfort (Comfrey), No muck.... Just trying to workout most economical way (with minimal Chemicals) to get patch up and running. Don't need round up... Her that must be obeyed (objects) so labour of love must see me through until chickens arrive...

Comment

Blood fish & bone is a good choice,but the smell of the bonemeal can attract foxes,on an allotment you could dig some in early spring then leave it for a few weeks before planting. I'm in a garden with no fox & I plant things then sprinkle the BFB around after & cover it over with soil so my cat doesn't stand on it but imagine if there was a fox,it would try finding the thing that smells trashing all the plants that would be devastating so I hope that doesn't happen to anyone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X