nettles

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nettles

There are an absolute forest of nettles in the garden, so rather than just chopping them down and throwing them in the dyke, is there anything I could do with them?
    I've heard of making them into tea etc, but I don't know if there are more than one type of nettles and don't want to poison myself lol.

You could make a tea out of it, a soup and a fertilizer (probably more uses), I have only ever used it to make a fertilizer and to threaten my siblings

Comment

I have made nettle soup and it is very nice. You only want the young shoots and a good pair of gloves
      Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

Originally posted by shirley View Post
        I have made nettle soup and it is very nice. You only want the young shoots and a good pair of gloves
        I might as well say it because you can bet someone else will, never seen a nettle soup recipe with gloves in

Comment

They say it's a sign of good growing ground - nettles grow profusely on old midden sites!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

All I know is that they are popping up all over the Hill and they don't 'alf slow down your weeding by the seedlings! I can't hand weed/thin seedlings with gloves on (too hamfisted) and can't get in too close with the hoe (ditto!) so they are not my fave plant at the moment!

Comment

I've learnt to live with alot of mine. They are super for attracting butterflies.

But nettle tea (for your plants) is well worth doing. Got three bottles on the go at the moment.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Have a large bowl of nettle tea in greenhouse. The smell! Makes cow dung seem pleasant.

Comment

I started some nettle tea yesterday and it's started to smell already. The nettle tea that you drink always seems pretty tastless to me.
                  I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I crop mine and put on compost heap as an activator.

The Romans apparently used to rub themselves with nettles to warm themselves up in our chilly climate.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have made my "tea" this year in the large plastic milk cartons (1.5 litres?) and have them standing at the rear of the polytunnel. I haven't smelt them so far.

PS The idea was not mine but another grape on another thread earlier this year. So if it was YOU - then thankyou!
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I've just filled a dumpy bag with nettles from my place and there's plenty more where they came from. I can't get them all in my daleks so I mix them with grass cuttings in an open pile in a secluded corner of the garden. Mixed with a few layers of equipoo, they soon disappear.
                        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Some of the nettles at the side of my house are about 9ft tall! I'm 6ft 7 and I don't think I can reach the tops of them! Must be darned good graound there! I might make some of this soup/tea/fertiliser stuff, Gawd knows I've got a plentiful supply of nettles.

Now, if I could just find my ladder....
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

You sound like my lad - he's 6' 7" too. I must have kept him under that bucket for too long!
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Is this nettle tea stuff supposed to be good for helping to grow better veg?
                              wouldn't mind trying it if anyone has the ''recipe'' lol.
                              thanks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X