Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composting - Do you cut up material?

Hi Guys,
    Do you cut up your compost material like branches, roots, twigs etc and if so what lengths do you cut it to? Or do you put it all in "As is"

I usually cut it all up but have had a load of green waste delivered and I need to clear space and don't have time to cut up as I usually would.

So basically how do you do yours?

TIA

PS Wasn't sure where to post this

Yes cut it up as small as is practical them you can get more in the bin and it rots quicker. Large amounts of green waste, make a heap and chop it with a spade. what doesn't get chopped will be damaged and that will help the rotting process.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I always cut things up now (learned the hard way) it composts so much quicker
      Nannys make memories

Comment

The other thing is when you want to turn it long pieces are a pain.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I don't chop mine up that much although do bash big woody stems like the ones from brassicas. I work on the principle that I don't have time to do everything and although as people above have pointed out, it does take longer to decompose, it still does and if you do it all the same way and have enough space for a few heaps I'm not too fussed about it taking longer, I still have a good steady supply so works for me. If I find bits that aren't fully composted when I'm turning it out I just throw them into the next bin and it all works fine.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I cut up as much of mine as possible, I know some people put theirs through a shredder etc.

Last year I cut down a few bushes and shredded their branches etc but they were still in there 8 months later even after being turned twice, but all my other stuff was good compost.
            If you want to view paradise
            Simply look around and view it.

Comment

I know I should, but often I just dump it in the compost bin, and it takes ages to rot down ,so do cut it up!
              Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 04-06-2014, 09:11 PM.
              DottyR

Comment

Paper & Cardboard gets shredded first, leaves & stalks go on as is. Branches get shredded for paths. Household activating fluid gets added as and when...............
                Last edited by Bigmallly; 04-06-2014, 09:22 PM.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Cutting it up definitely speeds up the process, I however am too lazy and when I take it out of the Dalek's bottom if it's still in big bits it goes back in the top for another run through the cycle.... along with the egg shells, and the avocado skins, and stones, not to mention the peach stones.....

Comment

So far, I've been a rubbish composter. I chuck things in, don't chop things up, don't keep it moist, don't turn it etc. I do get compost from my daleks but I know it could be much better and quicker.

I'm going to try and spend a bit more time doing it right.
                    My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I never used to cut things up but like Bill says its does make turning easier.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have a Hotbin composter, I don't bother chopping as the larger pieces help to create air cavitys. Nothing stands up to being slow cooked at 55c for a few months.
                        Hussar!

Comment

Everything possible goes through the shredder.

Comment

Originally posted by NoTWHaTiTWaSNT View Post
                            what lengths do you cut it to?
                            I keep all my shrub prunings, I don't send them to the council tip. I cut them up into roughly 6" pieces, and leave them all at the back of the border where you can't see them. They provide habitat for bugs & beasties which in turn are food for wild birds

The only thing I burn is holly, because I have a huge one and the leaves really stab me. I let it dry out till it's brown, then burn it in the chiminea
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I shred anything woody, so all the branches I prune from bushes etc get shredded.

Any foodstuffs get chopped down into small bits (like the stalk & leaves from caulis etc).

Toilet roll inners get ripped up.

I remember seeing something online that compared the timings between small stuff composting and larger bits composting and there was a vast difference so I always try to go small wherever possible.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X