Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything remotely useful I can do with bramble clippings?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything remotely useful I can do with bramble clippings?

I've taken out a wild blackberry bush today (what I could get of it anyway, I'm sure I haven't managed to foil it's plans for world domination!). Is there anything at all useful that I could do with the enormous pile of prickly clippings?

Claire
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

I keep some of the biggest bramble stems until they dry and are totally dead then use them to spread over newly planted areas to keep younger son's cat off. Doesn't always work but a lot cheaper than the rubbish the garden centre sells which is supposed to do the job Other suggestions include drying them out a bit and having a nice bonfire.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

You can make Bramble tip wine i'm sure some of the whino's on here will put you right with the recipe i made some once a long time ago drinkable i was toldjacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Burn them, or use them to keep the cats off your beds.

Comment

Love the anti cat idea! I'm quite keen on a big fire too but I'm not sure my neighbours would appreciate it. Thanks everyone

Claire
          I was feeling part of the scenery
          I walked right out of the machinery
          My heart going boom boom boom
          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
          I've come to take you home."

Comment

Useless information held in a seldom used vault in the brain......seem to remember they were good for bunny rabbits with diahorea, bungs them up methinks??? Or was it to de-bung constipated bunnies???? Something to do with bunnies anyway!

My head hurts!!!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Stick them in a shredder and compost them down.
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Little tip, I find its best to hold them by the back legs and pre stun them on the side of the shredder before you bung them in.

otherwise they try to drag them selves out.
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Its catching the mince on the way out gives me the most problems
                  Sopose you should skin them first then?
                  There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by beefy View Post
                    Its catching the mince on the way out gives me the most problems
                    Sopose you should skin them first then?
                    Put them in the freezer first if you like bunny chips!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I agree with Nick, my grandad always said they broke down really quickly as long as you left them to go brown first. They didn't have shredders then, just rabbits.
                      Derbyshire born Derbyshire bred & I'm not thick int'arm ort'ead!

Comment

I shred them green - like rasp canes- and compost them.. They break down in 12 months... Just don't shred roots or seeds.. or you will have zillions seeding in your garden like buddleia:-((

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X