Old compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old compost

I hope somebody can help. I'm a complete garden novice so please don't presume I know anything!

When I bought my house nearly 3 years ago the garden was beautiful. Fully stocked but sadly far too high maintenance for my husband and I. We've done very little to it since then apart from cutting plants back and mowing the lawn. This year we've decided to make it our project.

I'm wanting to make the borders smaller and add more lawn but don't know how to move plants to different areas eg beautiful hydrangea. Also I'd like to make a simple vegetable patch. There's already a raised bed in a sunny spot which I think would be ideal?!?! Any suggestions on where to start?

There is a full compost bin that we have never touched. Will it still be any good? Or do I need to take it to the tip and start again???

Thanks in advance x

Hi, I'm no expert and I'm sure someone more qualified will comment soon but here goes...

I would say the homemade compost is fine, I don t think it goes 'off' BUT do check it carefully for weeds or anything that is growing.. In that case I wouldn't use it as it will just spread seeds / weeds around and cause problems. (My new house has a compost bit that is sprouting, a lot! So I'm going to have to get rid if it somehow and start my own.

In terms of moving plants it would depends what it is but I would normally say dig up as much of the root ball as you can and probably pre-water the hole you are going to put it in and mix some compost or something into the new hole too. Some plants will be more sensitive than others so will be better off being moved at appropriate times of the year although I can't advice you when!! You mention hydrangeas and I know they are just starting to grow again now, I would guess that means it's not an ideal time to move them... But I may be completely wrong!!

With regards to lawn&turf I know that spring or autumn are the best times to deal with that. We have only ever moved small patches ourselves and bodged them back in, seems to work but there's probably a proper way to do it!! Just know that you have to water it a lot and that we found it really had to get new bits if lawn flat and level.

Hope someone more knowledgable comments soon! Good luck!

Comment

I can't help you on the borders however it seems like your raised bed is in a great position. How well rotted is the compost in the bins? I wouldn't send it yo the tip, I would just dig it into your raised bed as a soil conditioner.

Comment

Kt6382; when you say your compost bin is sprouting have you checked to see if this is being caused by potato peelings as this is often the most common reason for sprouting in compost bins .

Comment

Firstly, hello & welcome to the vine:
          With regards to moving plants, it may be the wrong time to be doing it as it's best to transplant whilst they are dormant. If you must move them take as much of the rootball as possible as already suggested. With regards to the compost, obviously I am answering blind but I would be tempted to take out the top 8"-12" of soil from your bed, empty the contents of your bin into the bed then top it back up with the soil you removed.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Clmc View Post
            on't know how to move plants to different areas eg beautiful hydrangea.
            Hydrangea is one of the earliest into leaf in the Spring, so ideally wants moving in the Autumn after its leaves fall off.

How big is it? Waist high, or bigger, is going to be a big job, and the plant may be getting to the point where its chances of survival are not that good (without the help of significant equipment to take loads of earth with it).

You could dig around it now, to sever the roots, at roughly where you think you will dig to move it in the Autumn. The plant will then make new roots at that point, during this year, and then won't be reliant on the original roots when you move it in the item - only losing its big roots "underneath" where you won't be chopping them this spring.

Another approach would be to take "cuttings". Hydrangeas are easy to root, but that may not be the same for the other shrubs you want to move. Also that will give you very small plants - cuttings taken this year and grown on in pots for a bit might be ready for planting out next Spring, but more likely next Autumn - and, in the case of a Hydrangea, is probably going to be another 3 years in the ground before it is a "handsome" bush. So moving your big plant will give you more instant impact - perhaps take some cuttings this year too, in case it curls up its toes after the move.
            Last edited by Kristen; 15-04-2014, 07:11 AM.
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
              Kt6382; when you say your compost bin is sprouting have you checked to see if this is being caused by potato peelings as this is often the most common reason for sprouting in compost bins .
              Thanks, I will have a look, although it just looks like they threw whatever in there and it's all started to grow! I don't want to spread weeds around, not after I've just spent all week weeding!! There's lots of little 'lords&ladies' bits that I particularly don't wAnt to spread as it is spreading like mad anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Clmc View Post
                Fully stocked but sadly far too high maintenance ...I'm wanting to make the borders smaller and add more lawn
                that makes my heart sink just a little bit
                Lawn is high maintenance: it needs watering, feeding, mowing, scarifying ... and it does nothing for wildlife.

A well-filled border, on the other hand (stocked with bulbs, shrubs & herbaceous perennials) doesn't need much work at all, and provides food & shelter for insects & birds

It's your garden though
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thank you for all of your replies. I really appreciate it.

I completely agree that it would be much better to keep the large borders but sadly I'm fighting a losing battle. Kept them for 3 years but they're just becoming overgrown and full of weeds.With a three month old baby and full time work - gardening takes a back seat. My husband is desperate to clear the lot so I'm trying to keep what I can. To be honest too - I don't do anything to the lawn but mow it!

I've decided to leave the hydrangea where it is after reading your advice and I'll move it later in the year. It is quite a bit over waist height so it's probably going to take a lot of work. Some of the other shrubs that don't have leaves yet I've moved and I'm hoping for the best.

Really pleased that I can use the compost. Thats tomorrow's job if the weather stays fine and baby behaves!!!

Thanks again x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X