No announcement yet.

Dalek infested with fruit flies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover it with something. Grass cuttings are really good (scrounge some?) or newspaper sheets.

Comment

or coffee grinds, or even a good layer of garden soil
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Or turn the material in the bin so that the old composted material is on top.....will also help speed up the composting process

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Thanks all. I have a compost turner but not sure I can face doing it with the number of flies in the bin! I've started to wrap everything up and hopefully they will go away soon. I was just a bit concerned about letting them out because my husband had a load of fruit flies in his last flat, they were living in the bin, and I don't really want them in mine or my neighbour's house.

Comment

They're only going to live in the house if they've got something to feed on. So don't leave fruit or compost "out in the open"

Comment

That's the problem, I can't control what happens in my neighbours' kitchen And we do have a fruit bowl, so I'd prefer not to get the flies in our house either.

Comment

I went out this morning and there are definitely a lot less flies than usual, since I started wrapping the food waste up properly. Thank you Two Sheds for suggesting this.

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoElectron View Post
                  we do have a fruit bowl, so I'd prefer not to get the flies in our house either.
                  Of course it's preferable to not get them, but if you have uncovered fruit or wine, you will get them (I drank two fruit flies at the weekend which isn't great because I'm vegetarian). Anyway, glad your compost fly problem is somewhat reduced

Comment

I do a quick waft with a newspaper when I take the lid off. They are doing a job in there - helping to rot down the fruit, every little carcase contributing to the cause....

Comment

Raybon is right

Fruit flies are like low paid workers in the NHS. They are adding to the success of the entire enterprise but get little recognition.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X