Flies in compost bin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
    Do you treat the dog do in any particular way for composting?
    It gets wrapped in newspaper, but apart from that, no: the composting "system" is the same for whatever I'm composting

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ste_26959.html

You read all sorts of rot, like this: "Dogs carry E. coli, salmonella, and giardia, among other nasties, so when you just leave the poop there to rot, the rain can wash it into rivers, streams, and oceans"

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/com...#ixzz2hOjBHrX7

How did humans ever survive and to live with dogs, if their waste is SO DANGEROUS? Sure, there is bacteria in dog poo, as there is in ours ~ and we poo in our drinking water (and then trust that someone else is filtering & bleaching it before it comes back out of our taps)
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 11-10-2013, 07:55 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds. I'm tempted to lift the dalek as you suggest, but I know full well that the top foot or so is practically unrotted as it's filled up fast with all the Christmas cooking, so it feels a bit pointless to empty it just yet. I started filling it in Feb 2013 - is that enough time for the bottom stuff to have rotted? I'm thinking of lifting it a bit and just scooping out the bottom-most stuff.

In the meantime I've found an old plastic kitchen bin in the barn and have put some garden waste in that (leaves, dead sweet pea vines) as a starter, and I'll then start filling that with the regular kitchen compost. It doesn't have a lid but it's inside the barn under cover, so should be okay for now. It's not a perfect solution but it gives me somewhere to put it all for now. We fill our kitchen compiost trugs so fast it puts me in mind of the kids' story about the porridge pot that goes mad and constantly boils over.
      Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
        I started filling it in Feb 2013 - is that enough time for the bottom stuff to have rotted?
        Yes

Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
        I'm thinking of lifting it a bit and just scooping out the bottom-most stuff.
        but then the heap is going to collapse & fall on top of you. It's easier, really it is, to just fork off the top layers into a new heap. I've been making mistakes for 20+ years, so you don't have to
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds I'm collecting two Freecycle daleks later so I'll do some forking and mixing up - today's the day as it's beautiful here but more crap is on the way, so they tell us.
          Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X