What can I use this for?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I use this for?

Just found a soft drinks crate washed in on the tide. Its 12" x 15" x 13"h and divided into 12 sections. Suggestions needed for alternative uses please. These are mine, so far,
    1. storing flower pots, stacked in size (but it will only take small round or square pots)
    2. growing 12 perfect parsnips, one in each section
    3. a mini square foot bed
    4. for bottles (too obvious).
    What do you suggest (and throwing it back in the sea or binning it is not an option!).
    Attached Files

Not sure VC but I have two cardboard shapes that have plug like bottoms in them, came with the printer I think. I'm going to plant out seeds in them. Then since they are cardboard I might even chop the bottoms off and plant them in the garden and let the sides rot off! Course, your plastic won't rot.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

use in your forest stream for holding water chestnuts...
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

So far, the only ideas have come from Darn Under! Thanks both.
        RT, you may have something there. Not in the stream but perhaps in the water butt fed planting idea that I'm still working on

Comment

Yeah we're big on what to do with free things darn here
          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

line each space with plasic and you have deep root trainers. Pull the placcy up to lift the plants?

Comment

Now that is a nice crate VC,if you want your arm ripped off,offer it to a plasterer
              Last edited by bearded bloke; 10-07-2012, 12:27 PM.
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Salad bar for me.

Comment

How about putting it off the ground, on its side, and using it to dry yer onions?? Get a decent draft through and it would also keep 'em out of the rain....
                  If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Whoops forgot to add they use crates as "hop-up's"

You could of course keep it & just screw a piece of plywood to the bottom & you have a handy lightweight rot proof garden hop-up/stool

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post

You could of course keep it & just screw a piece of plywood to the bottom & you have a handy lightweight rot proof garden hop-up/stool
                      Snap that's what I was going to post.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Now that is a nice crate VC,if you want your arm ripped off,offer it to a plasterer
                        Whoops forgot to add they use crates as "hop-up's"
                        So a plasterer only wants it to stand on? Not for some technical plastering reason?
                        I've just stood on it, and it didn't collapse - so that's a positive.... but I already have one of those cheapo plastic stools from LITL that I use in the garden......

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          Salad bar for me.
                          Is that growing a variety of salad leaves in it Zaz, or something more complicated that I don't understand

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            So a plasterer only wants it to stand on? Not for some technical plastering reason?
                            No technical reason VC,but decent strong plastic crates are getting harder to find as the years go by.

Comment

in my garden i would use to put 12 plastic bottle as drip feed for 12 pots. 12 of my square pots around and in the middle that crate...but maybe next year considered that is always rain this one

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X