Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does compost HAVE to state if it has horse manure in it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever picked up a sack of aquatic compost? Talk about heavier than it looks!!
    March is the new winter.

Comment

So let me get this straight.

B and Q compost is not likely to contain this legionaires disease is it? Nor is other types bought from garden shops in essex?

I havent used gloves for handling compost you see, Im 26 and generally thought Ill just 'get my hands dirty' I certainly havent been using a mask! Is this down to a specific brand of compost or should I be worried?
      Last edited by ItsEssexRob; 17-06-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

You shouldn't be worried, you should be properly cautious. There are numerous bacteria living in soil & compost* that can make you very ill. You should always wash your hands after gardening, certainly before eating, and avoid touching your nose & eyes (difficult if you have hayfever and are constantly rubbing/wiping)

Of course, you'll get a 100 people on here now saying "I've been gardening for 74 years and it's never hurt me!" But it might hurt you, so wash your hands, and cover any cuts (bacteria love getting into cuts and scratches on the skin).

* also in the air and on food, surfaces, phones etc etc
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Like 2S says^^^^^
          I don't wear gloves, unless I've cut myself, but I do wash my hands after doing anything in the garden. Its just common sense, stop scaring yourself
          In the litigious world in which we live, everything you buy carries a warning. Its the manufacturers' way of protecting themselves - like on a packet of peanuts - Beware this product contains Nuts!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X