X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compost

HELLO THERE
    im new to this site can you help?
    having recently moved home i have got my patch up and running and have just built my first compost heap using pallents reclaimed from a local industrial unit. i was wondering what do you all think are the best things to put on the heap. should i be buying worms for it or digging for them etc any help would be accepted thankyou

Hi Sewell, I wouldn't bother, they'll soon finde your heap.

As to what to put in, no processed or cooked foods ( cheese, meat etc) it will encourage rats. but you can put in all your veg trimings, fruit cores, eggshell, tea bags & coffee grounds ( if you do filter coffee) You can put annual weeds in as well but I'd leave them to wilt & dry out for a couple of days before adding them.

If you put grass cuttings in as something like shreaded paper to soak up hte moisture a bit. Every so oftern add a sprikle of lime, it helps to keep th ePH balanced and finally, don't waste money on activator - pee in it instead it's really good as it is hi in ammonia ( nitrogen )so helps to break things down.

Welcome to the vine
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Just make sure your heap is on soil, not concrete or tarmac. If on soil the worms will find their own way in. Nick, I agree about the pee, I'm just jealous that you guys can do it so easily - you just stand there pretending to admire the view and hey presto your compost heap is activated!! Us girls have to use a bucket, find somewhere private to use it, and then tip it on the heap. S'not fair

Comment

Girls wee is no good for the compost it actually slows it done - all down to hormones again. Boys wee activates which is maybe they have been fitted with equipment to add it with ease.
        Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
        -- Alfred E. Neumann
        http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

What about girls too old to have hormones?
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X