Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Manure.. Can I use..

Hello,
    My Bro-In-Law keeps choocks and I was wondering if I could use the manure from them. He said he would keep it for me until it mounts up. I want to bag it up and keep it for enriching the soil over winter. Thanks in advance for any help...Lauren
    "A good gardener always plants 3 seeds - one for the bugs, one for the weather and one for himself.” - Leo Aikman
    Lauren

Have read that chook poop is brill in the compost bin - guess it is the same as horse muck and requires a bit of rotting down though. Sure the experts will be along shortly. I am interested in the answer as I am hoping to get some chickens soon.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I was hoping it had some benefits like horse manure and commercial chicken pellet manure. By next March it should be quite rotted down ?
      "A good gardener always plants 3 seeds - one for the bugs, one for the weather and one for himself.” - Leo Aikman
      Lauren

Comment

Would have thought so - it might depend if he uses straw or shavings as bedding. Straw rots down quicker. I think the commercial pelleted stuff is pure poop as it probably comes from the battery egg industry.
        Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 10-04-2007, 07:42 PM.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Chicken manure is the cream of the crop. It contains all the nutrients for the soil whereas horse and cow manure is a bulk material rather than a nutrient.
          Lucky you!

Comment

*Cream of the Crop* you say...I'm deffo getting him to keep it then...Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
            Originally posted by vicki lorraine View Post
            Chicken manure is the cream of the crop. It contains all the nutrients for the soil whereas horse and cow manure is a bulk material rather than a nutrient.
            Lucky you!
            Lauren

Comment

Just remember you wont need such a thick layer as you would manure!

Comment

Yep chicken pooh is fab on the compost heap I share bagfuls on the allotment for other peoples heaps. It's a good activator. It will burn plants if uncomposted.
                Barter with it that's my advice!!!

Comment

yep I add it to my compost heap once a week when I clean my girls out, mixed with grass cuttings veg etc makes lovely compost. The straw and sawdust takes a while to break down but wortht he wait.
                  Bec
                  ----------------------------------------------
                  Am now happy - I can get out in the polytunnel again with the warmer weather.

Comment

WVG
                    How long does it take to break down? My hens are arriving next week and am most looking forward to receiving their contribution to my compost bin. They will be bedded down on woodshavings.
                    Is it best to have a special poop pile going or add it in with everything else?
                    Sue

Comment

we add ours in with everthing else, layer of poop and sawdust, layer of grass and veg, the sawdust takes ages to rot, about a year but the results are exellent.
                      Yo an' Bob
                      Walk lightly on the earth
                      take only what you need
                      give all you can
                      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X