Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To add weeds to the compost heap or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I should do and what I do are two completely different things. I should sort out what I put in the compost..................but I don't!

Anyone who stands talking to me for too long, goes in the compost bin.
    Dead rats go in the compost bin
    Dandelion roots and inflorecences go in the compost bin
    Whiterot infected onions................yep you've guessed it........go in the compost bin.
    Nettles/thistles and roots go in the compost.
    Today the seedheads of lupins went in the compost

Everything that stands still long enough and is not needed goes in the compost bin.

The upside is that I usually have loads of organic matter to add to the plot and find quite a few interesting seedlings popping up
    The downside is that weeding is a never ending task.
    As I don't mind weeding and look upon weeds as a green manure this is not a problem though

Please don't anyone try this at home................unless you like weeding!

PS Tried drowning bindwed in a water butt. Lifted it out today to find it was thriving and had loads of little white roots.................baaad move!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm trying to kill bindweed this year by anaerobic means. i found a sturdy sainsburys use forever bag, no light gets in the sides, so I've stuffed it full of couch grass and bindweed bits to see if that'll kill it.

Comment

About 98% of the stuff I put in my lotties compost bins are weeds that I've pulled, roots and all. So far I've only used one lot of compost from those bins seeing as I've only had them a year or so, and I used it as a soil improver rather than a germinating and small plant growing compost. In the place where I put the home made stuff, I get no more weeds there than anywhere where I haven't used it.

Comment

What about heavy-duty black sacks? Compost bag type, I reckon, should do it. May give it a try myself, when I can be bothered to tackle my Dad's jungle of a Veg garden.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamo View Post
            About 98% of the stuff I put in my lotties compost bins are weeds that I've pulled, roots and all. So far I've only used one lot of compost from those bins seeing as I've only had them a year or so, and I used it as a soil improver rather than a germinating and small plant growing compost. In the place where I put the home made stuff, I get no more weeds there than anywhere where I haven't used it.
            I do!eek:
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I do!eek:
              Well it could be because I get shed loads of weeds anyway lol.

Quite a few lottie owners where I am don't tend to their gardens that well and wind blown seeds like Dandilion and Thistle and the like are in abundance. That said, I really don't mind spending a few hours at the lottie pulling them all up and sticking them in my compost bins.

Comment

Along with Snadger i've a tendency to chuck most things in. I do however give it a bloomin' good chop up with a spade after bunging it in

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Tried drowning bindwed in a water butt. Lifted it out today to find it was thriving and had loads of little white roots...
                  Have you got a lid on that? You need to block out the light ~ and even then, it can take several months to die
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X