No announcement yet.

Rabbit bedding?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domestic rabbits are quite different from their wild counterparts. Wild rabbits eat a wide selection of grasses, weeds, flowers, fruits, hedges, and other forage and it is very difficult to replicate this sufficiently in a domestic rabbit's diet. They need a lot of roughage - hay and a selection of grasses are absolutely necessary for rabbits and should make up approximately 90% of their diet to be hay - at least the same size as their body mass.

However your rabbits are very young - and any rabbit that is not used to grass can easily get an upset tummy which is very serious in rabbits - how old are your rabbits now? I have never had baby rabbits so I cant advise you about the grass side of things but with any grass or greens I would exercise caution and start with very small amounts. If you can tell me how old they are I will try and get some advice for you - although having said that the Rabbits United forum - which Chris Marks has put a link on here for - has some excellent advice (can get a bit heated on there at times but a very knowledgeable bunch and generally very friendly (I have been a member on there for 2 years)) and I really can't recommend it enough as a resource for getting great advice for helping with your buns.

Just to add hay is also essential for correct tooth wear to help avoid dental problems later.
    Last edited by Helgalush; 22-06-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

PS It may be worth taking them to a vet for correct sexing (unless you got them from rescue) as unfortunately pet shops are renowned for giving incorrect advice and mis-sexing them leading to people ending up with 'accidents'.

PPS Tell me to shut up when I say too much - I could talk for days about rabbits

Comment

Helga, you are the foremost rabbit expert - I only keep guinea pigs (nicer temperaments). I'm still of the opinion that "the main component of every rabbit’s diet should be fresh grass ...or hay (dried grass)" Rabbit Diets - Grass & Hay

A pet rabbit's biology isn't going to be that different to a wild one, is it?
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Helga, you are the foremost rabbit expert - I only keep guinea pigs (nicer temperaments). I'm still of the opinion that "the main component of every rabbit’s diet should be fresh grass ...or hay (dried grass)" Rabbit Diets - Grass & Hay

A pet rabbit's biology isn't going to be that different to a wild one, is it?
          Yes absolutely - it really should be the main part of a rabbit's diet. 90% of its diet should be hay or grass. Its just best to be cautious about introducing fresh grass (or any unfamiliar food) to very young rabbits or to rabbits who are not used to eating grass.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) recommend a "hay and veggies" diet for that very reason Two Sheds - to mimic as closely as possible the natural diet of wild buns. Wild buns manage to find a greater range of wild forage foods than the cultivated veggies us domestic owners will give to them - thy way they eat is also slightly different. Rabbits need to have hay or grass constantly available to them so their tummies dont stop (they are always working) and so that they can grind down their ever-growing teeth. However baby bunnies need the energy from commercial feed (eg pellets or muesli) as they are growing. Many leading brands of rabbit pellets have been produced carefully to provide a nutritional balance so I still feed some pellets to my rabbits, particularly those I have with dental problems that have trouble eating hay or those with kidney problems that struggle to maintain weight....I digress

Anyway the RWAF have some handy leaflets:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...een_oct_06.pdf

RWAF: Feeding Young Rabbits

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...ding130807.pdf
          Last edited by Helgalush; 22-06-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

TwoSheds, I'm with you on the guinea pigs (as it were)...maybe you can answer this question for me. They eat/sleep in hay, lots of it...but if you're supposed to avoid lots of grass clippings in compost, doesn't that include hay? I love putting their droppings on my small compost heap as it feels so...circular...but should I be removing some of the hay? Hey?

Comment

Two Sheds, yes I took your advice on board, but was wondering if other people agreed with you, as you know in life what will work for one person may not for the next, so I like to get as many opinions as possible, especially as I haven`t kept rabbits since I was a kid which was many moons ago and things seem different now from how I remember. Also has you said you have Guinea`s and I have never kept them so to be honest I`m not sure how close they are when it comes to care for either?
              Helgalush, I spoke to the vets before buying them, he asked how old they were and I made inquiries and I was told 6 weeks so they are probably 7 weeks now. He said what I think you said about pet shops being hopeless at sexing them, apparently the shop assistant is sure they are both female, he said that I would be fine bringing them into see them at about 10 weeks of age for a check up, sexing and to discuss any other things I needed to know, he also recommended getting them spayed if they are female or neutered if males, he said that I should get them spayed if female because there is the risk of some kind of tumour somewhere, (sorry he had lost me by now!) if I didn`t. He said that hay was a good part of helping to trim their teeth, ( does grass not trim their teeth?) Anyway, I`m going on here! lol They are great pets I must admit, and my german sheppard loves them and funnily enough they seem to love her, she goes up to their run and they come up to the edge and she gives them kisses! Well I hope she`s not sizing them up, but when we have them out she is fine with them so hopefully she is being friendly? Anyway again, thanks to everyone for your great help and advice, I never knew there would be so much information about them.

Comment

Yes its best to get either sex neutered. Females have an 85% chance of getting uterine cancer by the age of 5 years if not neutered. It also helps to prevent phantom pregnancies (and of course real ones!) and can help prevent certain unwanted behaviours from developing and makes it much, much easier to bond or re-bond to a partner. They are generally happier and more settled. So yes when old enough I would ask your vet about that. All of mine are neutered.

Hay and grass are both helpful for keeping teeth trim - unfortunately modern breeding practices have led to an increase in dental problems - hay is often stalkier than grass and so they have to use more of the grinding action that helps dental wear.

Are they settling in well? They sound lovely. Do you know what breed they are?
                Last edited by Helgalush; 22-06-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks Helgalush, yes they are settling in great. We get them out to fuss everyday and let the kids gently hold them for a few minutes so they get used to each other. They seem to enjoy it and sit quite still on our laps and just generally have a sniff of us and the one of them climbs onto my chest for a snuggle! lol I`m not sure at all of their breeds, if I can work it out as I`m hopeless on computers I will post you a picture of them, they are quite smallish. Last night when we had them out, my dog came over n kept kissing them, I`m sure she thinks they are her pups! lol She is out there now watching over them, at least it stops her from chasing the postman!

Comment

Tell me to shut up when I say too much - I could talk for days about rabbits
                    I never knew people rabbiting on could be so fascinating !
                    (Now wondering who I know with rabbits.)
                    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
                      I never knew people rabbiting on could be so fascinating !
                      (Now wondering who I know with rabbits.)

Andy, glad your bunnies are settling in well. Would love to see a pic or two if you can work out how to do it. Its good that they feel ok with your dog too.

Comment

Rabbit poo contains more nutriants than chicken manure.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X