Cardboard boxes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardboard boxes

I have been clearing out 15 years worth of bumph from the loft and have loads and loads of cardboard boxes of all shapes and sizes

Any bright ideas on how they could be most productively used ?

Thanks

If they're whole: stick them on freecycle for people who're moving house (cos of health & safety, (fire risk) shops aren't allowed to keep their boxes)
    www.freecycle.org

If not, compost them (you don't really BELIEVE that your council recycles do you? Follow the lorry one day...all the way to the big landfill)
    Don't burn it except as a last resort...bonfires are anti-social and largely unnecessary
    Or...save them up until 5th Nov and have a bonfire
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

or use to cover you lottie beds if youre not planting better than old carpet as it disintegrates eventually and you can plant through them
      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Dig your bean trench and line it with cardboard then rip up other bit put on top and water then fill in the trench.

Or lay it all over your plot and cover it in grass cuttings to suppress weeds and keep the water in.
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Use it as a carpet in the shed (if you have one) soaks up the mud and when it falls apart you can stick it in the compost bin and put down a nice new cardboard "carpet".

Line shed walls with it for some insulation in winter.

From another thread use them to protect plants like pumpkins from slugs.

Line compost bins with cardboard.

use it to mulch, put around plants and cover with a mulch to suppress weeds.

Use it to cover undug ground, cover with a thick layer of mulch to kill weeds.

On the undug part of my allotment, when I've wanted to use my wheelbarrow, I've parked it on cardboard to save making ruts and churning up the ground.

Use several thicknesses for a kneeling mat.

Again on the undug part of my allotment, I put down a big row of cardboard and put potato pots on top, this helped kill the weeds underneath, got tons of worms and no cardboard left by the time the potatoes were used.

Use small cardboard boxes to transport seeds to allotment.

And at home they keep cats amused for hours.

Sue

Comment

Keeps small boys happy as well.

The lining the shed is a good idea.
            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I stored my tatties in heavy grade cardboard boxes this year, better than paper sacks which still let a bit of light in to turn potatoes green! Also used boxes for my beetroot, which is still in store with a bit of potting compost round them. When I eventually use the beetroot, the compost can still be used for it's designed purpose! Once the boxes become mishapen and unusable they will go on the compost heap!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks everyone - especially Sue. So many ideas - so few carboard boxes!!

Comment

I like the line the shed idea too. I'm using mine under bark but I've heard straw is just as good, for my paths. I stored last years spuds in them too, if you cut the sides down a little you can stack them & the air can still circulate.I've also got boxes at home filled with toilet roll middles which I use to start off peas, beans, carrots etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X