Composting cooked/meat things

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    I don't find that my bokashi bin is expensive to run but we do fill very slowly. Don't put peelings etc in as they are better in either the wormery or the compost heap which don't need added bran so really it's just used for fat off meat (don't put bones in as it doesn't break them down anyway), cooked stuff, fish skins, cheese rind etc. It takes us months to fill so I'm quite happy. Consider what you're putting where and you'll be able to bring the cost down quite a lot. Oh and there is non way I'd put meat left overs in either my wormery or my compost heap if they'd not been through the bokashi bin first. Had rats in the past, not nice.
    Thanks for this idea - we have just started our bokashi bin and I noticed how quickly it filled up with horror! Have now got 2 compost "crocks" - one for the bokashi and one for compost bin so hopefully it will work out for us!

Originally posted by Sonata View Post
    I'd love to have chooks. I'd feed them all the slugs in the garden - not a bad bargain, turning slugs into eggs!

I've ordered a Worm City tiered wormery jobby.
    I must have fussy hens.... they won't eat slugs nor do they like caterpillers however a nice juicy worm goes down a treat... don't they realise I want the worms and not the slugs/caterpillers?!

Comment

Originally posted by becslb View Post
      I must have fussy hens.... they won't eat slugs nor do they like caterpillers however a nice juicy worm goes down a treat... don't they realise I want the worms and not the slugs/caterpillers?!
      Same here.. they even leave the slugs alone that eat their pellets!!!

Comment

LOL at the fussy hens.

I never knew you could make bokashi bran, I might give that a go!

Just got my new wormery today so yay, I have new pets! It's a 75L, 3-tier system, so am hoping that between that, the other wormery, my bokashi bin, and the dalek, I've sorted our composting needs.
        Singleton Allotments Society
        Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
          I didn't realise you could put bones in compost bins ?
          I do. I also put dead mice in them.

I'm reading Humanure at the moment (very interesting and thorough about the whole composting thing, not just about people poo: highly recommended), and the author says you can compost anything safely: fats, oils, poo, bones, meat etc.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This is only half serious but, if you have a real problem then you could dig a hole and use lime. Obviously you'd have to cover the pit to stop the wrong things getting burned.
            What does lime do to a corpse?? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Otherwise I think you do need to review how you split up things for composting as you ahve already said.

With clean bones, I put them in the ordinary compost bin pick them out at the bottom, put them in the top again and so on until I think they'll mash up and go in the soil.
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
              if you have a real problem then you could dig a hole and use lime.
              It used to be the done thing to add lime to a compost heap, but it isn't necessary. Here's a bit from Humanure about composting dead animals:

"Dead animals of all species and sizes can be recycled by composting... a temp of 55c maintained for at least 3 consecutive days maximises pathogen destruction" (kills any germs).

He does say to compost diseased animals on site so you don't spread it around the country, as in foot and mouth, and don't bury the corpses where they could pollute groundwater.

If you think about it, there probably are (or were) dead animals under us and our crops right now, from dinosaurs to pigeons to mice and spiders.

To compost a dead pet at home (morbid I know, but better than flushing it down the loo or putting it in the bin), he says make a hole in the top of a compost heap, cover the corpse with clean straw/hay/sawdust and you'll "never see the carcass again".

A very interesting book
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

To compost a dead pet at home (morbid I know, but better than flushing it down the loo or putting it in the bin), he says make a hole in the top of a compost heap, cover the corpse with clean straw/hay/sawdust and you'll "never see the carcass again".
                How on earth would you flush a guineapig down the loo

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  How on earth would you flush a guineapig down the loo
                  More chance of that than one of our cats!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X