Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to understand NPK ratings (esp. manure)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit more info

Understanding Fertilisers from the National Vegetable Society

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      How about this then?

If a 100-pound bag of fertilizer has an N-P-K ratio of 5-7-4, it contains 5 pounds of nitrate, 7 pounds of phosphate (which contains phosphorous), 4 pounds of potash (which contains potassium) and 84 pounds of filler.

As far as I know, cow manure, which is mainly used as a soil improver rather than a fertiliser is roughly 1-1-1 so a 100-pound bag would add 97 pounds of bulk and 3 pounds of fertiliser.

So methinks the ratio AND percentages ARE linked.

I must admit, being the saddo that I am, I find this quite interesting!
      Me Too!

From what I read, the N ratio SHOULD be a % of the total mass. The P-K ratios aren't exact elemental percentages as they represent P2O5 and K2O, but multiplying them by 0.43 and 0.83 respectively gives the elemental figures (this is sometimes shown in brackets on fertilisers).

So long as the person demonstrating the NPK of a manure knows that the the N-P2O5-K2O ratio should be an exact percentage of the mass, then that's fine.
      But when I discovered figures for sheep manure that I mentioned before I had to assume one of them was wrong as I seriously doubt any manure could have 18% Nitrogen by mass!
      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
      Snadger - Director of Poetry
      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Thanks for that, swiped some more info
        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
          They also say that is "5.4% N db" (whatever "db" is)
          db stands for 'dangling bond'

....whatever those are!!!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            db stands for 'dangling bond'

....whatever those are!!!!
            Originally posted by Wikipedia
            When a metal is deposited on silicon, these dangling bonds give rise to interface states within the energy band gap of silicon.
            ...umm...really?

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
              Me Too!

From what I read, the N ratio SHOULD be a % of the total mass. The P-K ratios aren't exact elemental percentages as they represent P2O5 and K2O, but multiplying them by 0.43 and 0.83 respectively gives the elemental figures (this is sometimes shown in brackets on fertilisers).

So long as the person demonstrating the NPK of a manure knows that the the N-P2O5-K2O ratio should be an exact percentage of the mass, then that's fine.
              But when I discovered figures for sheep manure that I mentioned before I had to assume one of them was wrong as I seriously doubt any manure could have 18% Nitrogen by mass!
              I think it depends on the nitro base used i.e urea,ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulphate etc etc. All have differing percentages of N so by weight will give different feed rates. There is also useable Nitro and nitro which is inaccessible to the plant..........just to complicate the issue!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

NPK, yeah OK, if you want to use chemicals to grow your food (yes I know what it means and how it works), I prefer to rotate crops, compost anything vegetable in origin and use any manure that comes my way for free, pig manure for sandy soil, horse poo for clay soils and cow muck for general use, the bacteria in the soil will release the nutrients, there is a lot of free cardboard out there for digging in to bean trenches, moisture retention, carpet tubes make great 4-5" pots, line your heap with cardboard, it keeps it together insulates and rots down to make more compost, lets just keep it natural!( urine really does activate compost, "ammoniacal nitrogen"!!)
                Last edited by ohbeary; 19-05-2010, 10:16 PM.
                Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary View Post
                  NPK, yeah OK, if you want to use chemicals to grow your food (yes I know what it means and how it works), I prefer to rotate crops, compost anything vegetable in origin and use any manure that comes my way for free, pig manure for sandy soil, horse poo for clay soils and cow muck for general use, the bacteria in the soil will release the nutrients, there is a lot of free cardboard out there for digging in to bean trenches, moisture retention, carpet tubes make great 4-5" pots, line your heap with cardboard, it keeps it together insulates and rots down to make more compost, lets just keep it natural!( urine really does activate compost, "ammoniacal nitrogen"!!)
                  I do keep it natural (have a bucket of pee ready now for the compost bin!) but its nice to know the science behind the good practice!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary View Post
                    As I pointed out in the OP title, I'm trying to get my head around NPKs especially manures. I rarely use inorganic fertilisers, only really tomato feed. Otherwise it's all manure, compost and mushroom compost.
                    Just been finding it difficult to establish a good 'typical' NPK for some of the organic soil conditioners because they vary so much depending on what goes into them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X