No announcement yet.

What can I do with grass cuttings?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got some potatoes in grow sacks, current half full of soil - does that mean I can 'earth up' with grass clippings instead of more compost or will that just turn into a sludgy mess?

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
      does that mean I can 'earth up' with grass clippings ...?
      Yes, but only an inch or two at a time
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

how fab! that will save loads of compost - thanks TS

Comment

I've got some potatoes in grow sacks, current half full of soil - does that mean I can 'earth up' with grass clippings instead of more compost or will that just turn into a sludgy mess?
          I learned that from the Edible Garden the other week so at least show wasn't a waste of my licence fee!
          Elsie

Comment

That's great, I'm going through bags of compost a bit quick at the moment

Comment

Just a quicky before I actually do it.........With regards to earthing up tatties, grass clippings have been mentioned. Could I use the shredded leaves I currently have stored in black bags.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Our turkeys love grass cuttings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Could I use the shredded leaves I currently have stored in black bags.
                  Not really, they take too long to rot down, and being light will blow away. Leafmold is a great (free) potting compost, so save them up for that.

Comment

If grass cuttings are okay, how about used hay? I've got a lot of that lying around from my bunnies

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Not really, they take too long to rot down, and being light will blow away. Leafmold is a great (free) potting compost, so save them up for that.
                      Thanks TS.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

If grass cuttings are okay, how about used hay? I've got a lot of that lying around from my bunnies
                        Hay is just dried grass, so that should be ideal too. Water before you mulch, and water the mulch to help it bind together.

btw, please don't think me snotty, but hay is for eating. Straw makes for much cheaper bedding, shredded newspaper even cheaper

Comment

Hi, re. the "earthing" up of spuds in bags with grass....can you use old cuttings? I've got 3 piles of the stuff at various parts of the garden from the last couple of years. Should I just use the freshest driest stuff at the top, or can I use the more sludgey stuff underneath too?

Comment

I would think the problem with hay is seeds. Grsss is cut before it flowers and seed (usually - unless you avoid cutting your grass too much!) but hay will have grass and weed seeds with it. You could be regretting it next spring!
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              btw, please don't think me snotty, but hay is for eating. Straw makes for much cheaper bedding, shredded newspaper even cheaper
                              Not at all, it is for them to eat, but they usually kick some around too so there is always a bit left over that hasn't been converted to fertiliser

My potatoes are in bags I'm not too worried about spreading grass seed everywhere but I'll remember not to use it all over the garden - thanks for the warning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X