Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bamboo

Hi there,
    I want to start growing my own organic veggies this year. Last weekend I started to dig up an area in my garden. Unfortunately my neighbour grows Bamboo right next to the fence and I found plenty of roots where I want to plant my veggies. I tried to get as many as possible out, but I'm afraid I didn't get them all and they'll grow back. Will that be a big problem? What can I do? Thanks for your help!

My sympathy Regenbogenschnecke,
    i planted a bamboo over 2 years ago and realised it would be very invasive. I dug it out (or so i thought) and i am now still digging it out. However it is getting easier. When i see the new growth i pull it and the roots now seem to be nearer the surface. The roots come up quite easy now. I pulled a lot up at the weekend.
    If you think you have got most of it out it shouldnt be too much of a problem. You can give it another good dig before you put your crops in around march april time.
    Good luck with your veggies and i look forward to seeing how you get on.

Comment

Get a very sharp spade, and dig along the border to sever the roots. If you can, dig a trench and put a physical border below the ground between your neighbour's plot and yours - something like tiles or paving slabs laid vertically. If you have an allotment you can sometimes get hold of galvanised sheeting, or maybe heavy duty plastic sheeting (sorry, I'm thinking on my feet as it were). If you can stop the shoots migrating from his plot to yours, you should be able to clear yours by digging and/or pulling out new shoots as soon as you see them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X